New member from Michigan with the dreaded "click problem"

Hi nutcase WOW!!!!i could have written this thread myself have been chasing mine for over two years now.At this moment in time mine is starting first time every time. The last thing that i found was a splicing connector that was attached to the red wire coming from no:10 fuse which was wrapped in heat shrink which some one had connected some thing i don't know what and then disconnected.Since removing this not had a problem but just waiting to hear the click again as have been here before.All i am saying is check all wiring,sensors and anything that has been added even if it does not seem relevant. I have done all what you have done and a lot more and pray that it is solved now.Also have a look at relay mod if not already done there is a how to on you tube type in triumph rocket relay mod good luck i feel your pain OH!! by the way welcome from the UK:thumbsup:

When my Roadster acted similarly it was the battery getting weak. Next time it does it try putting it in gear, pulling in the clutch, get the bike moving backward and drop the clutch. Don't like coast it backwards down a hill and dump the clutch, you just want to back the engine off compression. That method's got me home before from hundreds of miles away.
Also make sure your main 30 amp fuse is good, clean, and a tight fit in the fuse holder.
Good luck!

Edited to add: on second reading I see you've tried swapping batteries, so maybe I'm talking out my ass. Keep us in the loop, please.

P.S. Have any more pic's of the Tribal?:)

Last edited:
Yes, have tried with voltmeter direct to starter also. Everything is within spec. Voltage hardly drops at all. It's so weird that sometimes I can hit the starter button literally 30 times with a click and then it will turn over completely fine.
Yes , headlights come back on as soon as I release starter button. Looks like I'm sending friggin SOS signals when she's being a pain and doesn't want to start.

When my Roadster acted similarly it was the battery getting weak. Next time it does it try putting it in gear, pulling in the clutch, get the bike moving backward and drop the clutch. Don't like coast it backwards down a hill and dump the clutch, you just want to back the engine off compression. That method's got me home before from hundreds of miles away.
Also make sure your main 30 amp fuse is good, clean, and a tight fit in the fuse holder.
Good luck!

Edited to add: on second reading I see you've tried swapping batteries, so maybe I'm talking out my ass. Keep us in the loop, please.

P.S. Have any more pic's of the Tribal?:)

Resized_20190713_185947.jpeg
Resized_received_446302016148168.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, have tried with voltmeter direct to starter also. Everything is within spec. Voltage hardly drops at all. It's so weird that sometimes I can hit the starter button literally 30 times with a click and then it will turn over completely fine.
Yes , headlights come back on as soon as I release starter button. Looks like I'm sending friggin SOS signals when she's being a pain and doesn't want to start.
Have you opened the start button switch cube and looked at the connections? I’ve read your post and have not seen you say you inspected connections inside that cube

Have you opened the start button switch cube and looked at the connections? I’ve read your post and have not seen you say you inspected connections inside that cube
What do you mean by "cube"? I took the screws out of the starter button housing type thing and took that apart. I used q-tips and contact cleaner to clean everything inside, including the button itself. When it clicks, it comes directly from the starter. You can actually feel the click from the starter if you put your hand on it.

What do you mean by "cube"? I took the screws out of the starter button housing type thing and took that apart. I used q-tips and contact cleaner to clean everything inside, including the button itself. When it clicks, it comes directly from the starter. You can actually feel the click from the starter if you put your hand on it.
That’s what I meant the switch housing, just wanted to make sure you went in there to check for loose connections

Just grasping at straws here. I remember in the old days, American Fords were known to have weak ring gears, and could have a condition where the starter would lock. Owners facing this condition were careful to park where they could easily budge the car, moving the ring gear a smidge and allowing the starter to engage normally.

And did you say you swapped starters ? Just wondering about the solenoid repair kit that is available.

Either something is preventing the starter from turning, or, as it sounds, a click 90% of the time is not enough electrons are reaching the windings in the starter motor, because a battery (much discussion here in past years about the deceiving reading of a meter, and the need for.a load test to understand what the battery is really doing when called to serve) - or, there is a significant drain somewhere competing with the starter when the button is pushed, making the battery carry its load, uphill, as it were.

Saludos desde España y bienvenido foro!!!
Has revisado todo el cableado que sale del botón de arranque hasta el conector??

Google:
Greetings from Spain and welcome forum !!!
Have you checked all the wiring that comes from the start button to the connector?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back