Music Music Music

Rock and roll corrupts the mind

Yes it does, but I like it, like it, yes I do.
Can't listen to country (unless it is pick'n and grin'n) as I have enough problems of my own without listening to someone else singing about theirs.
One thing about the Wing, with 80 watts per channel with six speakers (two of them tweeters up front) it packs one heck of a wallop for sound. I am hoping that I can find a decent alternative for the Rocket, but I'll take my time and hopefully get it right.
Dennis
21 dtg!

Wow!!!!

I got the E260 UPS today... This thing ROCKS!

1. The FM tuner works great, absolutely clear and great sounding reception.

2. One of the complaints about this model was that it took forever to charge on the USB cable. Mine took less than an hour.... that ain't bad if you ask me. I also bought a plug in USB wall adaptor so if I go on long trips I can recharge it... an extra $16.98.

3. The earphones that come with it are junk... I'm off to Radio Shack or Best Buy or somewhere to get something to wear while on the bike. I have regular headphones at the house and they work great with this... the sound is awesome.

4. I don't have a whole lot of CD's burned into my computer but I will soon. I loaded a CD that was on my PC into the E 260... you drag and drop. Up popped the song list and nothing happened... or so I thought. When the song list popped up the entire CD was already loaded into the E 260. It must of took two whole seconds.

5. The E 260 has an expansion slot for more 4 gig micro cards. The 4 gig it holds to start with does 1000 songs or 65 hours of music. If you figure roughly 12 songs per CD that's about 85 complete CDs you can put on this. Yikes. If you should have more favorite music than that you just buy a new 4 gig card.

Now I can see why music lovers go wacky over these things. If you would have had one of these 50 years ago you would have been labeled as a witch and burned at the stake.

This is a good start for some road music...:roll:

Music libraries

Tom, glad you got youir cure for your music "itch". Those 4G cards hold a decent amount of music.
I'll probably stick with the IPod for now as I enjoy having my entire CD collection with me wherever I go (about 400+ CD's). It has been a great weight saver over here as I used to carry around 120 CD's with me and that is a lot of weight in the 'ol luggage and then when I went home for R&R I'd change out a bunch of them for some new listening pleasure, I'm glad those days are gone...ain't technology wonderful?
I'm not sure of some of the other MP3 players, but with the IPod's I am able to maintain multiple libraries so that if I'm on the bike(s?) I have around 1,600 songs I like to listen thru when I ride. Then I have one with the entire collection on it, another one with songs both my wife and I enjoy (when we ride or drive together), and so on. And with the new (now old generation) one at 60G with video (they make it now at 80G) you can also take along some home video or pictures.
Anyway, glad you got what works for you.
Dennis
19 dtg!

ipod Facts

Here are the facts;
- Apple ipods do not produce stereo sound on their own. Amplification is poor unless you just use ear plugs.
- Want more amplification?? Check out Boostaroo at www.boostaroo.com/. This device can increase your ipod volume up to 40% for about $50.
- Various speakers can be put in your helmet but, you still will not have stereo sound. Check out www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=337. This what I use as I do not like things in my ears.
- You can Bluetooth your ipod. Logitech makes the most economical unit but, I have not figured a way to put it in a helmet. Good amplification and stereo sound! Check out www.logitech.com/index.cfm/US/EN. E-Bay is best sourse.
- Lastly, BMW has developed a Bluetooth helmet. But when avaliable it will be pricey. http://cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/htm/BMW_SystemV_Bluetooth.htm

Gary:bch:

Thanks Gary!!

I think... from here I am going to go one of two ways (or maybe even both):

Run the MP3 player into an Autocom which should take care of any amplification problems, along with some helmet speakers or some high dollar earphones...

and/ or

http://www.mhinstruments.com/products/rr_premium.htm

I'm a thinking these might tuck up under the ole Fleetliner :D.... maybe a sub in the Beetle Bags...

Hey Tomo, I did a "dry land run" on the AutoCom system components the other night. The speakers provided with the AutoCom are really pretty nice. Sound is quite clear & rich, if you can position the speakers against your ears. That will be one of the problems with this setup, getting the speakers close enough to your ears that you can enjoy the sound coming from "them" in lieu of the outer world noise. But, as has been stated in other threads, you would not want to completely block out the outer world. That could get you in trouble by taking away one of the key "cycling alertness" senses.

I've gotta get mine figured out. You can deal with your setup I'm sure. Hope to "NOT" see ya soon Tomo ;) .

Gary

Actually, IPods and other MP3 players do produce "stereo" sound. I think what you may have meant is that they do not produced amplified sound as they were primarily meant to be used for headphone use by themselves. That is why you see literally dozens of systems out there (I use amplified Bose speakers here in Afghanistan) that will give you the "non-headphone" listening enjoyment that a lot of us crave. Same on the Wing, plug the audio plug into the top of the IPod or MP3 (though the IPod has a better pre-amplifier set up built in than "most" MP3 players) and you utilize the amplifier built into the Wing's audio system.

Second, your statement "Various speakers can be put in your helmet but, you still will not have stereo sound" is pretty misleading and thousands of Gold Wing riders (and BMW and even Harley tourer riders) will disagree with you. If you are talking about speaker systems that come with most "intercom" systems you are correct, but they are not the only game in town.

The Boosteroo is a good system to boost an MP3 player's volume (even an IPod) if you do not have access to an amplified system. Most stereo (Two Wheel Tunes and others) systems use an amplified speaker system (whether amplified in the speakers themselves or a separate amplifier) to produce sound. So a "Boostereo" system is "often" not necessary, again it depends on the quality of the system you are using.
Dennis
18 dtg!

Hey Molinoman, I understand the need for a booster. When I did the dry land run the other night, I really thought the system could stand to be a little louder, planning on outside noise making it not as easy to hear when Rocketing down the highway. Maybe not, as I have not tried it yet. I do plan on (somehow) installing some foam in the ear cavities of the helmets to boost the ear buds "out" to get them closer to my ears. If not loud enough for those really fast moments, I'll look into the Boosteroo.

I've posted a few pics of my Nano mounting. I was pleased with the way it turned out. Simple & easy install & removal. Suction cup style.

See ya.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.JPG
    IMG_0460.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 51
Rusty

So do you get the passanger to change the station. If you mount a DVD on top of your helmet next to that I-pod I'd even ride B@#ch with ya.:roll:
Is that suction cup Rocket approved??:cool:

Back