Look at these welds

Personally, I believe that JB weld will hold up to the heat. Years ago, on my old pool heater (long ago replaced) I used JBW on a cracked manifold and it worked like a charm until the rest of the unit kinda' decayed. Call their toll free # and speak with their tech support, Will. If it can withstand the heat, it certainly would be the cheapest and easiest fix!

P.S. I went to their site online and it indicates that it is good in apps up to 500 degees F.

There was a two part putty stick that they sold at the counter of the local parts store. It baked on like steel after a while when used on exhaust. I should know, the dual exhaust on my '72 Bronco was adorned with the stuff.

I just found this; looked up "2 Part Exhaust Putty" and it says "Fits Harleys." Heheh! Maybe it will work on Triumphs too.

http://www.debrix.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=05430-M1

TriumPhil said:
Personally, I believe that JB weld will hold up to the heat. Years ago, on my old pool heater (long ago replaced) I used JBW on a cracked manifold and it worked like a charm until the rest of the unit kinda' decayed. Call their toll free # and speak with their tech support, Will. If it can withstand the heat, it certainly would be the cheapest and easiest fix!

P.S. I went to their site online and it indicates that it is good in apps up to 500 degees F.

Phil,
On the single open header exhaust I made, which was too loud,
I bought a baffle that slipped in and was attached,
with a screw through the outside into the baffle.
Screw came loose, lost the baffle.
Ordered another one and replaced it.
This time I mixed up JB weld and put it on the interior threads,
figuring it'd work since I've had good luck before with it on a cracked chevy block.
Melted or burned off and lost another baffle.
Don't know what the heat is inside the exhaust is,
but it must be alot more than 500 degrees.
Gave up and went back to stock with a bypass.

Willtill – Don’t waste your time, just fit it. Mine is just as pretty as yours and had done 10’s of thousands of mile without any problems at all..... :wink:

OK. I will just install it. I'm going to be mildly upset at it though; if down the road it starts going "phlptttt, phlpttt, phlpttt...." with exhaust gases spitting out of a tiny crack in that seam later on.....

:)

willtill said:
OK. I will just install it. I'm going to be mildly upset at it though; if down the road it starts going "phlptttt, phlpttt, phlpttt...." with exhaust gases spitting out of a tiny crack in that seam later on.....

:)

Ok....the pipe is now off, why won't you just take it and get it welded now for peace of mind? I don't get it. :roll: Do you have no welders near you or are you just being cheap? :wink:

Well, I was just asking for, and getting a feel of opinions about it. Hope this isn't irritating you too much..... :roll:

...and I ain't cheep :wink: I just hate other people touching parts on me bikes.

willtill said:
Well, I was just asking for, and getting a feel of opinions about it. Hope this isn't irritating you too much..... :roll:

...and I ain't cheep :wink: I just hate other people touching parts on me bikes.

Not irritating me! Hell it's not like you gave us jock itch or anything! :lol: :shock: 8) :p

Native One

Back