It Only Happens To Me

atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
As most everyone on this forum is aware I have a ton of luck when it comes to motorcycle projects (or as I refer to them "motorcycle miscues"). Once again my luck holds as I continue with my current Bobber project to upgrade the forks with Ohlins Fork Emulators, to add complete adjustability to the front end suspension behavior. I purchased the emulator kit (FKS-219) from an outfit in Italy because they weren't available in the USA. So international shipping aside I paid full price. The Ohlins Tech I was in touch with recommended a re-valve for my expected FA (fat ass) load tonnage. So had that work done at Moto Monkey over in Argyle in December. Then during the first chance to get the forks worked over discovered didn't have the correct tools. Delay with a side of consternation. This weekend Tom and I set about completing the project and ran into another issue. The bolt that was larger than expected per the instructions turned out to be larger than the emulator, note the damper tube being replaced by the emulator has a wee larger hole than the emulator:
1642435632661.jpeg

So now it's a delay with a side of frustration. I contacted Jerry Wohlgemuth at Ohlins and he sent it over to the service department to see how to proceed. It's obvious to me the factory didn't take into account the difference in between the single disk brake models and the dual disk model forks, and that the dual disks use a 47mm fork tube vice the 45mm fork tubes of the single disk units. If all else fails I can take the bolts and have them turned down and rethreaded at a machine shop, but am curious how Ohlin's will respond to my latest dilemma.

1642435922983.jpeg

Well the Service Department came back with:

"The FKS 219 does not fit the 47mm Showa forks, see note in rec. list below.

Over here that version is called “Bobber Black
”.

So now I wait for a remedy, I did ask about resizing the bolt but would prefer to exchange the kit I have for the correct units.

Realization with last reply from Jerry, the kit I have will not work on the larger forks I have. The fork caps won't thread on, so putting the whole lot up for sale and getting a Matris kit that fits the Bobber Black 47mm Showa forks. Only fly in the ointment is the Matris emulators are about twice as expensive as the Ohlins.

Ordered the Matris kit from Dragomoto in Naples Italy. Should be here sometime in February depending on the speed at customs. On the plus side this looks to be an easy install. So progress...........

Ordered the Matris kit from Dragomoto in Naples Italy. Should be here sometime in February depending on the speed at customs. On the plus side this looks to be an easy install. So progress...........
Everything looks easy till you start.😅😅😅😅😅 Hope for better luck.

Back