Issues with filling 2.5 gas tank

Kennydg

DoinMyBest
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT, 2018 Honda Goldwing DCT
Anyone else find it very difficult to fill the tank without spilling? I can't put the nozzle in there far enough for the auto shut off to work so I have to go extremely slow filling or else it will gush out when it all of a sudden reaches the neck. Plus it seems moving the nozzle in any direction too much and it splashes out as well. Seems it could have been a better design, or maybe it's just user error.

Thanks

Anyone else find it very difficult to fill the tank without spilling? I can't put the nozzle in there far enough for the auto shut off to work so I have to go extremely slow filling or else it will gush out when it all of a sudden reaches the neck. Plus it seems moving the nozzle in any direction too much and it splashes out as well. Seems it could have been a better design, or maybe it's just user error.

Thanks

I agree.. I had the same issue. I seemed to be able to mitigate it but going slow and having the nozzle jammed right up against the metal bar inside the tank and the auto shut off works. Every bike seems to have its own preferred preference on how it likes to be ”entered” gigitty..:)

Last edited:
The water bottle I carry is really not to drink... I keep it to rinse the paint after the inevitable dribble after a fill-up... :oops:
-MIG

I agree.. I had the same issue. I seemed to be able to mitigate it but going slow and having the nozzle jammed right up against the metal bar inside the tank and the auto shut off works. Every bike seems to have its own preferred preference on how it likes to be ”entered” gigitty..:)
Same! Stuff the nozzle in until it hits the stop. The auto-stop works for me. Filled tank twice today. No issues.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'difficult'. It takes tecnique though (Yes i have produced a mini geyser myself once) but i'm getting it down now.

On my first fill up I got distracted and felt my ****** getting wet,,,looked down and gas was pouring over my gas tank and on to the very hot exhaust!!!! I think I prayed that my brand new bike wouldn't burst into flames and my ****** with it!!!!:banghead: The auto shut off didn't work, since then I pay attention and make sure the filler is in as far as it can go which isn't very far but no repeat floods so far. Dumb design but still love the bike!!!

After many fillups I think it is a faulty design, but not a big deal. If I allow auto shut off, my fuel gauge is not showing all bars full, leaves 1 bar. If I slowly and carefully contine little by little add gas, gauge is totaly full. Not gonna take that time for that.

Back