Instruments Dead.....Bike runs fine...What gives?

This is a very old thread that I just happened to be viewing. What was the resolution to the problem? It just seems so improbale that both would fail at the same time.
I am still working on this. What I have found so far: If I have the bike in gear and turn the ignition switch to on (before I start it), and I pull or push the bike, I get the warning lights to come on and the tach will sweep. The Speedo is working, but does not sweep prior to start. Also, my trip odometer resets to 0 each time I turn the bike off. I have checked, cleaned and dielectric greased all connections. I spoke to a dealer and they agreed with me that I should replace the speed sensor at this point. I will report back the results.

I am still working on this. What I have found so far: If I have the bike in gear and turn the ignition switch to on (before I start it), and I pull or push the bike, I get the warning lights to come on and the tach will sweep. The Speedo is working, but does not sweep prior to start. Also, my trip odometer resets to 0 each time I turn the bike off. I have checked, cleaned and dielectric greased all connections. I spoke to a dealer and they agreed with me that I should replace the speed sensor at this point. I will report back the results.
Hi Jabo. Did you get this fixed? I am having the same problem, thanks.

A new one should cost you around $330-$350. If you install it yourself, (very easy to do), write down your current mileage because it will not show up on the new one. Good luck

You could always get a Dakota Digital speedometer/tachometer. Pricey, but lots of info right in front of you.

You could always get a Dakota Digital speedometer/tachometer. Pricey, but lots of info right in front of you.

idk - I noticed you've posted a couple of comments about Dakota Digital, but that's all I find on the site. I like the looks of the 7000-series. Do you have experience with them? How much of a wiring nightmare are they?

Thanks,
MarvinM

I don't have one @MarvinM, but have often thought about installing one. A few blokes have installed them over the years and I have not heard any negative reports on them. It would clean up my bike a lot as I have the Triumph clock and fuel gauge, and those four big pods clutter up the handle bars.

Somebody posted a wiring diagram a while ago, but it may have been lost over the years. @DEcosse could probably supply the list of wires that would need to be connected up. I believe that there is a bit of wiring needed, it is not plug'n'play. I would get a 7000 series if I decide to go that way.

Back