In the bucket-Sturgis

I'd love to go sometime, but not during the rally. I went to Daytona (5 hours away) a couple of years ago for the first time since the early '90s. All it did was remind me of why I quit going.

I know what you mean. I have pretty much gotten over the desire to attend big rallys. They are great if you need (or want) to buy something, but aside from that I don't place much value in them anymore.

Thats why I really enjoyed the Ocean City Maryland thing last september, it was huge with thousands of bikes and people but spread out through the whole town. Since O.C. is spread up and down the coast for many miles there weren't terrible crowds everywhere. Plenty of hotel rooms since it's a summer resort town with good prices. The camping is several miles inland so it's away from the noise and lights of the city.
Went by myself and still managed to have a good time. The only bummer is that Maryland has a helmet law and I hate being forced to wear one when I don't feel like it.

Last edited:
Thats why I really enjoyed the Ocean City Maryland thing last september, it was huge with thousands of bikes and people but spread out through the whole town. Since O.C. is spread up and down the coast for many miles there weren't terrible crowds everywhere. Plenty of hotel rooms since it's a summer resort town with good prices. The camping is several miles inland so it's away from the noise and lights of the city.
Went by myself and still managed to have a good time. The only bummer is that Maryland has a helmet law and I hate being forced to wear one when I don't feel like it.

That is interseting............ I have not been going to the DelMarVa Bike Week since they lost their home (first at the campground and then at the race track). From what I saw on the web site it looked like a mish-mash of random stuff.

Maybe, as you saw, that is an improvement. I'll have to give it a try if they do it this year...........

I'm planning on stoping by Sturgis in June on my way to Yellowstone. I've always wanted to go but don't have enough vacation to do that and my yearly trip that we do with our best friends. I'll have to be sure and get a t-shirt, guess that'll make me a "Sturgis poser":)

That is interseting............ I have not been going to the DelMarVa Bike Week since they lost their home (first at the campground and then at the race track). From what I saw on the web site it looked like a mish-mash of random stuff.

Maybe, as you saw, that is an improvement. I'll have to give it a try if they do it this year...........
The web site is a joke, there is maybe one hotel and one campground on the site. It makes it look like there is nothing there. The entire city is all over the bike week, just goto an ocean city summer site for hotels and take your pick. I rode for miles up from the bridge along the coast where the hotels are and there were bikes everywhere. Seems they only advertise the vendor area which is several miles away at some out of the way rodeo somthin or other place. I got my levers braided at the harley store where most of the good vendors are all week. The rest of the time was spent doing the ride to fill the book with stamps or just sitting at a bar watching the bikes roll by. Stuff is spread out so you decide to do something and have to go there, I hate ralleys where everthing and everyone is packed into a small space. Hell, even the cops were cool ... I got three warnings for doing stupid **** like wheelies. They don't want to write you a ticket so you come back next year.
The best way to book a room is to look one up like you would for summer. Don't even bother with the site except to find out what the date is. They pushed it back a week last year so it was'nt over 911.
I heard that the racetrack was the best vendor area but the track started charging the vendors some outrageous amount of money for rent and they said ****-it. Now theyre spread throughout the city.

Last edited:
2010 Sturgis Plans

I talked with Stripes and described our plans for Sturgis Rally week this year. Last year was our first time to visit Sturgis during the rally, and Billz joined us for a few days and outside of some bad weather encountered, we had a great time.
There is a KOA campground in Rapid City with nice facilities and their central reservation number is 1-800-562-8504. There are tent sites still available (W/electric & water) during Sturgis week 8/8 -8/14/10 for approx. $300 w/their KOA rewards card discount (includes 2 people for 6 nights and extra persons are $5 night). Rapid City is about ½ hr from Sturgis via the interstate. I have worked and vacationed in the Rapid City and surrounding Black Hills area and chose Rapid City (pop 100K) because they have the best selection of services, restaurants, shopping, etc. Besides, if you want to get some sleep before 3:00 A.M. you can at the KOA, where it may be difficult at other campgrounds like the Buffalo Chip or Broken Spoke.
There are a lot of great roads and sites to experience in the area and planning your routes so that you can catch some of the action in Sturgis a few times seems to work out well. Having the extra power with the Rocket certainly helped to pass some of the slower moving traffic and gain some open road. It would be nice to get a group of Rockets together and let them breathe a little on those expansive roads… you know what I mean. For some added fun, perhaps we could coordinate a group purchase of Triumph shirts like the “Hang on Baby, This Ain’t no Harley” or “Here Piggy, Piggy” though it’s probably not advisable!
Anyway, if you have any questions regarding the KOA, Rapid City or the Black Hills area send me a PM. We look forward to getting together with fellow Rocket captains that will be out in Sturgis during the rally. Thanks.

Here's a link to a map of the Black Hills area...
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/maps/badlands_map.pdf

Back