I have a confession to make.

In 6 months i had only ridden my R3R twice , i was thinking i had lost interest and fallen out of love with her. I found myself making up excuses not to ride her, ie: makes my back sore , got no one to ride with , sick of the same old rides , then the back brake stopped working due to me never changing the fluid in 4.5 yrs since i bought her.

For the past week i have been considering selling her to get enough to pay off the loan ( got 8k left to pay ), even the Mrs has been in my ear that maybe i should sell the R3R as i never ride it and it had become nothing but a 2 wheeled clothes horse ( when it's got it's cover on she hangs washing out over it in the winter......). Yesterday i logged into here with every intention of placing an ad. on the forum and try and get the coin i need to pay the loan. I left the page open all day at work and tried my best to avoid the inevitable , i reminded myself of all the regrets i have from years of buying , restoring and then selling both cars and bikes of many different types , still the voice nagged me that selling would be best for the long haul.

I told myself i'd go home have one last look at her before i made any totalitarian decision to place the ad , what would another day hurt ? When i arrived home i made my way sheepishly to the garage , put the door up and removed her cover , she was dirty , the tires were showing signs of needing some air and she looked as sad as i felt . The Mrs wouldnt be home for another hour so i decided to have a go at bleeding the old fluid out of the rear brake , we went through the old motions of getting her up in the air and level on the Anderson stand , for a big bike her balance while holding her up one handed by the bars and levering her onto the stand still amazed like some sort of magic trick , the big girl played nice.

Took me a good 4-5 reservoirs of fluid to flush the crap stuff out , ive never seen brake fluid that looked like milk........ , once i buttoned the res back up i topped up the air in the tires , took her off the stand and enjoyed the feeling of spending time with her and making her well again, put the key in the ignition, hit the starter and BANG she was off into that nice steady rumbling idle a sound i would likely miss once sold , i thought the best thing to do is bring her to work in the morning ( today ) give her a run and look at her through my office window as i formulate what i wanted to say in the ad.

The ride to work this morning was crisp and refreshing , she purred along like something mythical and rare , every gear change was rewarding as the teeth meshed and passed the torque to the back wheel , i flicked her left and right through the early morning traffic , cracking the throttle everytime i needed to get out of the blind spots of all the drones holding my girl back from smashing a R3R sized hole at speed through the air, i was in love again........

I sit here writing this, looking out the window at my girl , the shape and swoop of her beautiful lines makes her look brutal but at the same time elegant , i cant wait for when work finishes and i get to ride her home once again , decision made i wont be selling her :)
I sold one Of my favorite bikes years ago for an (upgrade) and have regretted it ever since. I can tell you how much you’d miss her. I had a doe try to hitch a ride to work with me last Tuesday and it didn’t turn out well . Now my beloved Rocket is awaiting surgery and I miss it dearly. Not sure I could get my leg up on the peg yet anyway but just not seeing it in the garage is bad enough

Speaking of Doe. I was cruising down a road to work, inside the city mind you, and I look up...**** doe just going at it on the grass about 2 feet off the road. That's one moment I'm glad for my stupid bright headlights, she was completely stuck in them and didn't move an inch.

Speaking of Doe. I was cruising down a road to work, inside the city mind you, and I look up...**** doe just going at it on the grass about 2 feet off the road. That's one moment I'm glad for my stupid bright headlights, she was completely stuck in them and didn't move an inch.
I've had plenty of close calls with deer over the years and nailed a few with cars, but this is the first time I've killed one with a bike.This was on a rural highway but yes, have seen many in town too.

WE are just a little luckier here in the UK with the Deer problem - they have started culling them due to ecological problems. I hit a deer a couple of years ago in my van. While travelling on a dual carriageway at approx. 70mph it leapt from side of the road. I hit it with the off side front of van. This smashed the front quarter, shifted radiator, fuel pump, etc backwards and wrote the van off. The deer was launched over the central barrier and onto the nearside lane of the opposing carriageway. It landed just in front of an elderly gentleman (78years young) travelling to a bike meet on his 1965 BMW R60. He hit the deer, pulled a huge 'wheelie', stayed upright and survived. Unfortunately, the whole front fairing was smashed and hanging off in bits and pieces. I'd pulled over due to the amount steam issuing forth from the engine and got out of the van rather dazed. The old boy had left his bike and run across the road to make sure I was okay! Bless him...His bike was sorted by my insurance so all was okay in the end. I would hate to have this happen on a bike. I hope you all take care and ride safe.

Twas that John doing doggie with Jane Doe?

79409i8B92B32A454D0540.jpg

Back