Hello Fellow Rocketeers!

Welcome from Mississippi! You must have some wrenching experience to buy a bike with a messed up transmission. If that's the case, pulling it apart and working on it yourself shouldn't be too difficult. Could be the detent spring, but if you consistently get 3 good years, I'd say not. Sounds more like a spacer or clip has broken on the shaft inside between 3d and 4th so it just spins and won't line up? You'll love the bike though. You can easily get to anywhere you want with first through third from 0180mph without hurting her, and then really love it when you get the top side back :)

Such warm welcomes, I knew I was going to like this place. So a little about the tranny; Took the bike for a test ride Saturday and it was beautiful. First through third worked fine. I wanted to see what the guy was talking about "not shifting into fourth" so I gave it a try. Sure enough, it wouldn't go. Didn't sound like grinding (like trying to force a manual car into gear when you're first learning), more like a bouncing of one gear off the other. Not a huge deal, just ride 1-3 until I can look into it. Went for a little ride around the block last night and, at a stop sign in first, let out the clutch give a little gas and the thing doesn't move at all...almost like first gear was seized. Shift two second and roll forward a little, try first again - works fine. Tried to duplicate the problem in my driveway and sure enough, first locked up and I had to rock it forward and back a little bit to get it to shift out to neutral. Very odd, gonna go look though some threads here and see what I can find.

cusso ken, Mittzy, cardinal93 : what do you think of that?

Welcome from Florida. I'm sure the learned ones will be here to guide you through this soon.

Im no expert but id say rip into fixing that gear prolem and dont ride it any more dont want to compound anything by riding around with lose bits of clips washers etc floating around in there

Agree with Wrecka , I really wouldn't be riding it around like that mate. Welcome from another of the Aussies.

welcome from arizona
if it locks up while u are doing 40 it is going to be hard on u.:eek:

So here we are, two months and $5500 later, I have a fully functioning rocket with a brand new tranny. Turns out one of the gears was completely destroyed and sent shards into the rest of the transmission to be ground into a metallic pulp. It was a complete rebuild. I wish I could say I did it myself, but being gone for 6 of the past 8 weeks, I decided to turn it over to a triumph dealer and let them handle it so I could at least have it done this year. Anyway, rode it home today and plan to ride it for the foreseeable future as long as there isn't ice on the ground.

Back