Head gasket weeping oil.

Choptop

started out on 3 wheels, now back on 3 wheels.
Ride
2015 Triumph rocket 3 trike
Picked up my '15 Rocket/Trike conversion last year w/7,500 miles, it is my 1st Triumph, after I got back from a Yellowstone trip I noticed that my head gasket was weeping oil on the right side, may have been doing it when I bought it, not sure. I am getting it ready for this years Wi. riding season, am going to wipe it down and monitor it, not enough to show up on the floor, will check tightness of head bolts and just ride it and have it replaced when the 20,000 mile service is done or do it myself if I find that it is not that bad of a repair. I take it that till it turns into a major leak, I am ok to ride it.

Picked up my '15 Rocket/Trike conversion last year w/7,500 miles, it is my 1st Triumph, after I got back from a Yellowstone trip I noticed that my head gasket was weeping oil on the right side, may have been doing it when I bought it, not sure. I am getting it ready for this years Wi. riding season, am going to wipe it down and monitor it, not enough to show up on the floor, will check tightness of head bolts and just ride it and have it replaced when the 20,000 mile service is done or do it myself if I find that it is not that bad of a repair. I take it that till it turns into a major leak, I am ok to ride it.
I would have to agree with all you stated; starting with a properly sequenced head bolt check with a torque wrench. I do this anyway, but I would keep a quart of oil on hand "just in case".
-MIG

Last edited:
Check the valve cover area closely, small drips make big mess, appears like a leak from the head gasket area.

I would agree with Gerald. Check the valve cover gasket closely especially on the right side toward the front just above the cam chain adjuster. The gasket seems to squirt out of place in that location then starts to seep. The valve cover bolts can also be a bit loose. I had to snug mine up when I first got it for that reason to fix some sweating/leaking.

Just to clarify when you say "head gasket" do you mean the gasket between the head and block or between the valve cover and head? Not trying to make you look bad, just that we have had some confusion in the past with this. The valve cover gasket is relatively easy to change. The head gasket is another story and a lot more expensive. We rarely have head gaskets failing prematurely.

I would agree with Gerald. Check the valve cover gasket closely especially on the right side toward the front just above the cam chain adjuster. The gasket seems to squirt out of place in that location then starts to seep. The valve cover bolts can also be a bit loose. I had to snug mine up when I first got it for that reason to fix some sweating/leaking.

Just to clarify when you say "head gasket" do you mean the gasket between the head and block or between the valve cover and head? Not trying to make you look bad, just that we have had some confusion in the past with this. The valve cover gasket is relatively easy to change. The head gasket is another story and a lot more expensive. We rarely have head gaskets failing prematurely.
Don't need any help looking bad, do well on my own doing that, Lol, but thanks for thinking about that. Not sure which one is leaking, I would have to look closer but would think valve cover gasket. Yes, I meant valve cover gasket but my fingers typed head gasket. Thanks for the help !

Don't need any help looking bad, do well on my own doing that, Lol, but thanks for thinking about that. Not sure which one is leaking, I would have to look closer but would think valve cover gasket. Yes, I meant valve cover gasket but my fingers typed head gasket. Thanks for the help !
Actually, I guessed that's what you meant. Good clarification though...
-MIG

Back