Yes, @WyldCFH I know you are all incorrigible. I never have a problem with anyone passing when I lead...it's just means that they are big boys and girls and obviously feel comfortable with the roads and directions (pretty hard to get lost on the Sisters) and that they assume responsibility for their own navigation and safety. Had I not had two VERY inexperienced riders there under my personal supervision I would have been right in the middle of the hooligans in the front. You will remember that my spouse showed no such compunction about running off with the ne'er do well, law breaking hooligans that passed me...ME...their duly appointed leader and all around reluctant designated adult supervision (d@mn I hate adulting :()

Dont forget @skydog1000 got lost! :confused: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Easy way here is simply to invite the local off duty GC.
Definitely the way ahead ! Traffic blocking is in fact an infringement of the highway code and you wouldn't last long in the cities without prior arrangements !
I wouldn't like to be endorsing such flagrant disrespect of our laws , but as mentioned , the plod have as yet to take issue as far as I have noticed ! :cool: :cool:

As mentioned, passing should be discussed prior to beginning the ride. But it is critical that passing be done with some care.
1. Signal riders behind you that you're gonna pass.
2. Mirror & head check that nobody is in process of passing you.
3. Never pass on the right!!! (For countries where you drive on right lane)
4. Make sure you have a target space open to re-enter right lane.

I have personally witnessed bad outcomes from breaking each of these "suggestions".

A lot depends on how well you know the people riding with you. The group I normally ride with know that when they hear the Rocket roar, to hold their line because I'm coming by fast. Especially if we're on a 4 lane behind a rolling road block, because I'm shooting between the offending vehicles.

I have found a good compromise on group rides , if the ride is a Sunday blast then it's a free for all . But if the ride is for charity or some other legitimate reason it is good manners to stay in group , at least on the way there , this means that any official photos or vids show good structure and organisation !
Coming home is a different matter tho :sneaky: :sneaky:
Now here's the thing , I don't know bout you mercans but here we use blockers on account of our many junctions and roundabouts . For any that don't know , blockers break from the group and cover entrance routes at junctions and roundabouts . This prevents cars from entering the line of bikes and keeps the bikes together . Obviously I'm talking bout rides consisting of 20 bikes or more !
The beauty of being a road blocker , is that after the last bikes have passed thru , you then have to get to the front of the pack again ready for the next roundabout or junction , so never a dull ride out with organised hooliganism ! ;) ;)
rockets do make for a good blocker dont they

Back