HeR3tic,

Thanks for the welcome. I have a couple questions.

What RPM range is the sweet spot? And is it sweet as in mid range of power band or as in smooth running? Or both?

Is the tuning you did with Tuneboy on otherwise stock engine? I hope to leave the stock silencers in place. Cat box?? My wife and I both want quiet pipes for the long trips.

If on a long stretch of scenic back road that is best viewed at 40-50 mph, is the engine still smooth? My past experience on the Road Star is great at that speed with pleasant thumping massage but my Honda CB900C was "buzzy". How is the Rocket?

Thanks for the input.

Gary

Tomo,

I do hope to see most of those places again but first there is the eastern USA to explore. We haven't made it past Colorado yet. One of the things I am interested in the Rocket for is getting across a couple states in a day on the superslab! The Road Star is perfect for the backroads but is just not comfortable out on the highway.

I am hoping the Rocket can please in both areas.

Thanks,
Gary

My wife and I do a lot of Farm to Market road travel and I find that the bike does well. The Rocket is so long legged that I cruse in 4th gear alot,(when under 60 mph) 5th almost seems like overdrive. We like it quite also, but I'm going to shelve the cat box to get rid of some of the heat that on some days does a slow simmer on my hamstrings.

Scheduled a test drive.

All,

Thank you all for the welcomes.

I have a test ride scheduled for Saturday morning. Dealer says I will have to follow one of their people on pre-planned route. I sure hope it is enough to get a real feel of the beast.

Gary

All,

Thank you all for the welcomes.

I have a test ride scheduled for Saturday morning. Dealer says I will have to follow one of their people on pre-planned route. I sure hope it is enough to get a real feel of the beast.

Gary

As a new R3 owner (about 2 weeks now), here's my impressions:

Being 6'3", I find the roadster windscreen too short. It takes some of the wind off the chest, but is way too short for me especially for the 500+ mile days. I plan to upgrade to the taller Clearview shield this winter.

The footpeg position isn't very good for my long legs and size 14 boots. The controls seem a bit short and the pegs too high for long distance. I need to get the top of my legs more horizontal, so forward controls or peg relo would help. I just got the Rivco brake pedal cover and that should help a little. As soon as the Kuryakyn longhorn peg gets delivered, I'm cutting off the factory shift peg and putting on the longer peg. This will help. Also, my Rivco engine guards just arrived yesterday, so some hiway pegs are on the horizon. This should help immensely on long rides.

Just ordered some saddlebags and they'll be here in a few weeks. There's no room to store anything on the bike, not even the owner's manual. There's room under the seat near the tools, but no useful storage for tire gauges, etc. I think a windshield tri-pouch will be in my future.

The bike handles and runs great at 80+ highway speeds. I'm getting about the same mileage as my Wife's VTX1300, but I'm riding more conservatively with her. The bike isn't broken in yet so I can't complain about the mpg.

I had the dealer install the TOR pipes and cat box eliminator before I took delivery. Very pleased with the sound. My Valk with glasspaks is much louder (and drones) at highway speeds, so the R3 won't be fatiguing on long trips. My longest ride so far on the R3 is only 150 miles. Around town the pipes have a great rumble, especially when downshifting or burbling downhill.

I was hoping the R3 would replace my 9 year old Valk for everything, but I think I'll keep the Valk for long distance riding. It already is setup with all the comforts. Done many 600-800 mile days on that bike. Your choice to keep the Roadstar as backup might be a good idea.

Don't forget to take your checkbook with you for the test ride. That's what got me when I test rode bikes at the Honda Hoot. Got home and sold my 14 month old Roadstar Midnight Warrior. Once you ride the R3, you'll be hooked.

Welcome.

John

Last edited:
...What RPM range is the sweet spot? And is it sweet as in mid range of power band or as in smooth running? Or both?

Is the tuning you did with Tuneboy on otherwise stock engine? I hope to leave the stock silencers in place. Cat box?? My wife and I both want quiet pipes for the long trips.

If on a long stretch of scenic back road that is best viewed at 40-50 mph, is the engine still smooth?...

Gary

My beast is a Tourer. I've a couple pics in my Photo Album.
The torque curve climbs very rapidly to 2400 mol. At 60, in 5th, that is right where I'm at. I shelved the cat box. The growl is not obnoxious and the removal upped the responsiveness. I'm keeping with the stock bologna pipes, though they are weighty. I could shed some personal tonnage to offset the weight. I might change the tips. Cat box removal could be a real issue on the left coast:eek:
At 40-50 in 4th the engine is perfect; right in the upper torque curve and it's smoooth. Engine vibration for mine WAS an issue at 80+, perhaps closer to 90. I've not been cruising the freeway since TuneBoy came on board, so it could be closer to 100+:D , I doubt that is the case.

Took a test ride! Mixed feelings.

Hi all,

Well, I took a test ride Saturday morning. Was about a 10 mile loop with just a taste of highway, uphill tight curves, and one sweeper coming back down. Definetly not enough to form a valid opinion.

Liked the power and smoothness of engine. Foot pegs and handle bar position for me sucked. I will have to fabricate floor board mounts that are forward and down some along with controls. Handle bars need a bunch of rise and pullback. Guess I'll have to fabricate those too.

Test bike was a standard Rocket so wind on highway made it difficult to relax and feel the bike.

The Rocket is still on the table as a choice for new bike but I am going to wait to see what Triumph does in the way of a touring model. I sure hope it is along the lines of what Extreme Machines shows on their website.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be stopping in to read and see what others are doing to adapt fairing and other touring goodies to the Rocket.

Ride safe.
Gary

Back