fuel smell and poor milege

Bigfoot

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket Classic, 2007 Rocket
I have been noticing a more than normal fuel smell while riding and my milege is getting piss poor 19 - 22 it was up in the 30's plus before the shop had it for that long time replacing the tranny and all that ...any ideas and if so any solutions to get it back to semi normal its a 2006 Classic with 80k on it.

Yep check fuel lines coming from the tank to the fuel injector rail and then check all injectors to make sure there is no rail leak. check injector harness to make sure they are secure. If it persist I would be looking to make sure you do not have any wet plugs from say the loose low tension leads running to the coils. These are things they would have re,moved for the update kit. Also make sure the two breather lines coming from the left front of the tank towards the rear to make sure they are not plugged or pinched off from them putting the bike back together. If none of this works I would be curious if the did the fuel level sending unit update and maybe messed up a bit. The reason I say this is dealer or not you really have to hold your face straight to get the guts of the fuel tank in and out of the tank.
This bites because you first have to check all the stuff the dealer did before you can move on.

does the exhaust smell rich with black smoke ,check the vacuum pipes are connected up ,could be the tps needing repositioned or replaced

Also, check the coil wires (both HV output and 12V input signal). If a spark plug isn't firing there will be unburned fuel and bad fuel economy. I've had this both ways: I assume some prankster tore one of my HV Coil wires - tearing the boot and breaking the wire; and also, extremely loose 12V coil inputs caused the same issue - mechanic chased his tail for days, gave it back to me, and I actually found this problem myself...re-crimped the wires and on my way.

Back