Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
If i want to store a bike for a year or more, if i drain the fuel tank completely and then spin the engine over on the starter for a couple of turns will all of the fuel in the pump and injectors be expelled and then they won't gum up? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am not sure if the fuel will all be pumped out in this way. (just a question as i am not going to store my bike for that long, just curious)

NO
even if u drained the tank and started it up as soon as the fuel pump sucked air the pressure would drop and the motor would stop and the fuel rail would have gas in it.
edit
my best guess would be having a fuel rail with gas and air would be worst than full of gas.

The problem with draining all the liquid out is that you expose all the parts to atmosphere... depending on humidity levels that can be worse than old fuel. I've see quite a few success stories with people who use a good fuel stabilizer and top off the tank.

Water and oxidation are the enemy, not the gas itself. :)

The problem with draining all the liquid out is that you expose all the parts to atmosphere... depending on humidity levels that can be worse than old fuel. I've see quite a few success stories with people who use a good fuel stabilizer and top off the tank.

Thankyou

Fuel stabilzer is the way to go then, but it only lasts up to 1 year i believe so a replenishment would be needed if storing for more than that. I have used Lucas fuel stabiliser in other bikes for 8 months and that works ok.

I've had my girl sit for 15 months without issue... twice. I ensured the fuel tank was full and added Sta-Bil 360.
-MIG
Thats reassuring, Thanks. The problem for me is we in in the UK are threatened with E10 fuel next year and i am a bit worried if that will screw things up.

Thats reassuring, Thanks. The problem for me is we in in the UK are threatened with E10 fuel next year and i am a bit worried if that will screw things up.

I've been stuck running E-10 almost the whole time I've had her. I do run premium though (U.S. 91 or 93 octane). Now that I've said that out-loud... it usually spins a whole new conversation... heh! :p
-MIG

Back