Front Brake Lever Adjustment, Touring

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
There's a screw and nut mounted in the upper end of the front brake lever on the backside('08 Touring). It is screwed all the way into the lever. I assume it an an adjustment screw of some sort or maybe it presses on the plunger for the brake reservoir or the brake light switch. I can't figure it out even though I have the rider's manual and the service manual. When riding today I felt a very noticeable drag on the lever before it released completely. When I squeeze the brake lever it functions normally but when I release the lever it now feels like it is momentarily catching on something. It appears the far end of the screw that goes into the housing hole is what may be catching on something when the lever is released. Any ideas on what this screw is for and how it is supposed to be adjusted? Thanks.

Last edited:
I went out and looked at mine. I *think* it pushes on the plunger that activates the switch for the brake light. It may not be the screw, it could be the plunger is gunked up a bit and causing the dragging. I would probbly start by trying to get a few puffs of a dry lube in there and see if it helps. If not then disassembly and cleaning would come next. You are right, the service manual gives the torque for that screw and other than that, nothing. You may also want to unscrew the lever and make sure it is OK, more lube if possible.

bob

I went out and looked at mine. I *think* it pushes on the plunger that activates the switch for the brake light. It may not be the screw, it could be the plunger is gunked up a bit and causing the dragging. I would probbly start by trying to get a few puffs of a dry lube in there and see if it helps. If not then disassembly and cleaning would come next. You are right, the service manual gives the torque for that screw and other than that, nothing. You may also want to unscrew the lever and make sure it is OK, more lube if possible.

bob
Your advice is exactly what I was beginning to arrive at in the middle of the night. Thanks! :) :thumbsup:

Got around to looking again at that screw on the brake lever and the hole it goes into in the master brake cylinder/reservoir housing. Using my most powerful LED flashlight shining inside that hole I could see the screw on the brake lever presses against the master brake piston which has a rubber boot around it. The outermost end of that piston was covered with bug guts or what looked like that. My theory is a bug of some sort got cozy inside that hole and then got squashed. That is what caused the sticking, catching, dragging sensation I was feeling. I blasted the inside of that hole and the piston with WD 40 Silicone spray and the problem is now gone. I hope the warning in my service manual about not using any mineral based lubricant on the master brake components does not apply to silicone spray. :rolleyes:

Back