Fork end lacquer, All Blacks and American football

Rocket Ronnie

.060 Over
My 07 Rocket has got deep scratchmarks in the lacquer of the fork ends. My bike (which is now triked) was previously owned by Marty Holah who was capped by the All Blacks about 50 times - for our US colleagues that's in Rugby - which is like playing American Football without a crash helmet and all that sissy padding. So I think Marty must have been biting the fork ends for aggression training.

Anyway - i asked my friendly dealer for ideas about how to get rid of the marks - they suggested white spirit - which i tried and didn't work. They then suggested using Nitromors to soften the lacquer and then polish it back to the bare metal. Before I screw up the whole thing with paint stripper any views out there on best way to get rid of the marks? Picture attached showing the marks.

Cheer. Ron DSC01398.jpg

When the lacquer/clearcoat is damaged like that, the only thing you can do is to remove the coating and polish. Lots of work, makes a good winter project... :D

On my Vulcan Classic I had the pitting you see in the photos and wire brushed with a drill motor and progressivily sanded to 1500 grit to get the look in the other photo...The R3T fork I cover with static clear plastic...Can't see it and it protects the finish.

Attachments

• R3T  fork covering.jpg
    R3T fork covering.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IM000175E.JPG
    IM000175E.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IM000174E.JPG
    IM000174E.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 86
Back