USMC-R3

.040 Over
Does anyone know how hot the header sheilds and TORs get at peak operating temperature? Reason I ask is I am looking to use a high temp powder coat to black out the rest of my roadster (the entire exhaust system) and the stuff says it's rated up to 1200F. I'm sure the actual headers and pipes get hotter than that, but since it's only the heat sheilds and silencers that I'm doing I wonder if a max rating of 1200F is fine. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Shouldn't be a problem. Of course one test is worth a thousand conjectures. You could get a pyrometer and go find out how hot the exhaust pipe gets by actual measurement.

Why not buy some of those little after market chrome covers for the top of the headers and do those first. That's probably the hotest part anyway. Give it good work out and if they hold up then you'll know before you do the rest.

I have had the header pipe glow a few times. It realy looks cool at night after a hard run. Now I wrapped the header with heat tape to keep my legs a little cooler

black headers

i got mine ceramic coated in black,look like flat black,they look as good as the day i put them on.coated in and out and helps with the heat:cool:

Back