Here is a recent test of the usual suspects with additive and water vs additive and coolant:

Cooling System Additives - Turbo and High-Tech Performance Magazine

The synopsis:

They all work, they all work incredibly well with just water additive and distilled, and acceptably well as additive and coolant.

Distilled will keep your engine cooler and prevent overheating in the first place, antifreeze will tolerate minor overheating better but cannot expel heat as efficiently because precious few materials have the heat capacity of good old water.

This is the bottom line. Water has the best heat transfer - better than PG, ethanol, methanol, etc. Coolant provides corrosion and freeze protection but lowers the overall efficiency of your cooling system. If you're in an environment that isn't prone to freezing, you can use water with a corrosion inhibiting product for more efficient heat transfer. Since your system is closed loop and operates under pressure it's not going to boil unless you have a legitimate system issue like failed water pump or cooling fan. Oh, and Evans is crap. :)

Here's a good video to watch:

Last edited:
I have a water distiller at home and have been making my own distilled water for 37 years. Does that make me an expert?...no. All I can say is its used to make pharmaceuticals (usually triple distilled) as it is inert and the purest form of water available. So, if you are going to mix something with water or just decide to run it straight I would always go with distilled. It is also the water of choice to use for topping off batteries.

More than 6 months on with only distilled and water wetter in the loop, zero issues, still a light pink fluid as when it was new.

Heated garage, and the high compression. I want as much cooling power as possible to preclude detonation. More power = more heat :p

I noticed in early 18 I was getting light detonation when it was 90 ish weather.

Heated garage, and the high compression. I want as much cooling power as possible to preclude detonation. More power = more heat :p

I noticed in early 18 I was getting light detonation when it was 90 ish weather.

Yeah, and 90 degree temps are on the way again. After this last winter I never expected I'd grouse about warm weather.

Hopefully the plethora of changes + the improved coolant will ward it off for me!

Desperately waiting on summer to land!!

Distilled water on its own is a big no no...will cause ion transfer from the metals it is contact with as it has very low conductivity.

Distilled water on its own is a big no no...will cause ion transfer from the metals it is contact with as it has very low conductivity.

Yep I work in the water treatment industry, we build all sorts from pools to water for injection plants. Pure water (deionized, distilled, permeate, etc) is incredibly corrosive (we have to label its a non potable and not for consumption, although in some instance doctors will prescribe it to remove toxins). Its also called the Universal Solvent. The advantage is as a base chemical as @Claviger says. Mix it with your preferred antifreeze and you have the best mix with no other chemical side reactions that can deposit, or corrode, this is good logic and science. However NEVER just run DI water in your system. Pure water, add heat you have massive corrosion.

There's also SO much rubbish and mythology in water treatment with little proof or regulation. I go to this site a lot for a good laugh. When any "treatment" system comes along I always ask for the chemistry, no chemistry I call bullsh*t.

The Bunkhouse Water Pseudoscience Gallery

The BunkHouse: Water pseudoscience gallery

Magnets as water softeners, NONONO, sure the electrons are aligned... but only in the magnetic field. You would not believe the amount of council engineers we've seen fall for this garbage.

Back