Developing Kill issue

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
This new thing begun about two weeks ago and started with morning starts only, but now happens on other starts throughout the day. I start the bike in Neutral with the stand down while it warms up for a minute or two. Then I mount and bring the bike upright and stow the kick stand completely. When I put the bike into first gear, it kills it straight away. I let the fuel pump pressurize again and it starts right away in gear and I ride away.

My first thought is the kick stand switch may be the problem, but then again, maybe the GPS. Any other ideas as to why this is happening?

Does the cold weather have anything to do with it electrically?

This new thing begun about two weeks ago and started with morning starts only, but now happens on other starts throughout the day. I start the bike in Neutral with the stand down while it warms up for a minute or two. Then I mount and bring the bike upright and stow the kick stand completely. When I put the bike into first gear, it kills it straight away. I let the fuel pump pressurize again and it starts right away in gear and I ride away.

My first thought is the kick stand switch may be the problem, but then again, maybe the GPS. Any other ideas as to why this is happening?

I'd start with the switch

Any grease that may be in the switch or accumulated around it may be getting hard in the cold weather and causing the switch plunger to "stick" a little. If there's anything around or in the switch clean it out good. definitely something with the kick stand switch.

The last few days have been warm and the issue was absent. This morning was cool 40F and it came back...

sounds like its an electrical thing alright...start the bike, let it run a while then kill it with the kill switch. Turn it on again, let it run,do the kickstand thing again and put it in gear. Might just be a kill switch/stand switch hicup.
It's a bit like doing a reboot.

I think you have hit on the two most likely things. The sidestand switch or the GPS. The GPS on my first Rocket was quirky so is could be sending the wrong message. I would do a sidestand bypass first and see where that takes you.

Back