And Then There Was 1

I'm sorry we all didn't get a chance to terrorize highways and biways today. It was a tad bit chilly but at least there was no precipitation. I guess it was just too close to Christmas and everyone got busy with "Honey-Do's". Link Removed
I decided at the last minute to ride anyway just to try out the Gerbing heated gloves. Wow! At 48 degrees and a pretty good wind chill from driving between 65 and 80 mph I barely had those rascals turned on. Toasty warm and very well insulated. They were a little bulky and not extremely flexible but well worth their weight in gold for warmth. I can't imagine how cold it would have to be for them not to keep my hands warm? Probably cold enough I wouldn't want to ride the beast anyway.

I could have used another layer under my jeans. The First Gear jacket was fine.....once I remembered to close all the vents I had opened last summer. Also, do not attempt to pick up coins, operate zippers or push GPS buttons with these gloves on! It ain't possible.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had quite a good time. Those heated gloves sound warm. I don't like the feel of gloves when I'm gripping the handles. Sort of feels as though my grip could give way with a modest acceleration. I'm thinking heated grips would work better for me, or some "thin in the palm" gloves.

Facing The Wind

Hondax, you're right about liking more flexibility in the glove. My only thought about the heated grips concerns from where the heat emanates. It would effectively take care of the palm side of the hand, but the other side would be facing the wind and I always thought that would almost defeat the purpose. At least with the Gerbings.....the entire hand is surrounded with warmth.

Does anyone make a glove with a thin, flexible palm side and a heavier, more insulated back side?

Well, I changed my mind last night about the ride to KC to meet the "brave ones". I too bailed on Pianoman due to the predicted cool temps. So, after mass (which is my second choice after the ride to KC) and getting packages ready to deliver to families for Christmas and delivering some food to one of those families, I came home looking for something to do (I had about 6 cups of coffee during the gift packaging session so I was charged). I uprooted the garden (which my wife had not been able to do since she had surgery on Holloween) and then commenced to getting all the internal combustion engines I own ready for winter. I mixed up 5 gallons of fuel with Stabil and started the list. I had just filled the Rocket so I knew how much fuel it had (you need to acknowledge the mix ratio you know) and added Stabil to the tank of fuel. Next was the lawn mower, the weed eater and the leafblower/vacuum. Then over to the old homestead to attend to the items there. First the lawnmower, the old Yamaha, the lawn tractor, the "BIG" weed/sapling eater and the Suzuki dirt bike my son never uses. Now, did I get everything? Good, that "desire to get this done" item is out of the way & off the list of things to do.

OH, I forgot, because I put Stabil in the fuel tank of the Rocket, I "just had" to go for a spin to make sure it's all mixed in, right? So Pianoman, I also got out for a short jaunt, which was cool as I thought it would be.

Guys, I'm certainly sorry we missed the chance for the 5 of us to get together today. I know the time would have been worth sharing with the other here on the forum.
I am really looking forward to the next chance for a bunch of us to get together.

See ya.

Don't worry... by the middle of next summer you will be positively sick of us :D...

One thing we might do is a ride up to Baxter Cycle in the late spring or early summer. If you have never been there you will be amazed. Its about 200 miles from Blue Springs, about 140 miles for you Rusty. Maybe even rent some rooms up there and have a few beers with the locals one night. It really is a bizzare trip, some good motorcycle roads on the way up there too.

We always have our monthly "board" meetings also, and quite a few imprompto get togethers. And Raymond wants to go everywhere :D....

Sounds great! I can hardly wait! Please keep me posted thru the "hybernation" months. Of course, I'll spend plenty of time on the forum to keep updated.

See ya.

It will be good to see y'all when warmth returns.

I think it's a kick to put on the insulated bib coverall and matching coat and go for a ride thru the winter. The colder the better, but I do need sunshine.:) I can last about an hour if i stop a couple times and heat up the gloves using the exhaust. I'm definitely on the lookout for some electrically heated gloves.
When I ice fished in Colorado I would use those pouches you break to mix the chemicals and viola', instant heat. Maybe I can put a couple of those in my gloves.:confused:

Back