triroketman

Supercharged
It seems that my rear rim has decided to corrode in a few spots this winter. I rode it on Wednesday and when I aired up the tires I noticed a few spots that did not look right. So today I looked a little closer and found that the rear rims have a few spots of corrosion on them. Maybe I got into some road salt somewhere or something I don't know. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this and make the rims look like new. I have only had the bike since August and have kept it spotless. This really piZZes me off.
Dave

Starting in '06 Triumph stopped coating the wheels because there were several folks having issues with the coating peeling. So what better way to solve it than to just do away with it. So the wheels will need to be polished every so often, I have used Mother's aluminum wheel polish. Tom recommended a good product to coat them with a while back, I can't recall what it is maybe he can offer a reminder.

....Carbon Fibre Wheels don't corrode, but then, they have to be so thick they'll weight as much as stock wheels do. For around 5 large ,you'll be corrosion free though. Six of one, half dozen of the other I always say....:)

FYI Refrain from speeds above 65mph.

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome

I believe that Hondax is suffering from a severe case of PMS though others here are suffering as well. I hope the Hondax case isn't terminal, the chickens will have to fend for themselves in his absence.

I've always had a rule for taking my bikes out after the snow and cold weather is gone and that is I always wait until after a good rainstorm has washed all the chloride from the roads. Not only will your wheels suffer but so will your aluminum engine, brake disc's electrical connections, basically anything on the bike that gets subjected to the chloride dust but especially the aluminum due to electrolysis.

The urge to take 'er out on a warm pre-spring day is great and does allieve PMS somewhat but it really takes it's toll on your bikes appearance.

flip

Yo Flip, How could we set up cathodic protection for our bikes? Been thinking about that for a while. Jack

more on corrosion

Hey Guys, I appreciate the idle banter, but you are not helping me much. I purchased some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and polished the rims. The spots that were corroded are now smooth and very shiny, but you can still see the corroded spots. Is there any way that I can remove the corrosion and get the rims looking like new. I can't believe that within 6 months of purchasing the bike, the rims look so bad. Please help me.
Thanks
Dave
06 Classic R&W

Try the polish with some #000 steel wool. And as with anything try in a small area first to make sure it doesn't leave any fine scratches.

I did a search and found Tom's old thread...

http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=1206&highlight=this+stuff

I use MAAS on the engine cases of my old Bonneville and plan on using it on the Rocket if mine are bad enough and maybe their protectant too.

http://www.maasinc.com/products_motorcycle.asp

I am not looking forward to polishing mine either after this winter. I think I'll wait for the next tire change.

Last edited:
Yo Flip, How could we set up cathodic protection for our bikes? Been thinking about that for a while. Jack

Jack:

I remember seeing either in a JCW catalog or in an Eastwoods catalog a unit that attached to your battery with sacrifical cathodic plates you put at each end of the vehicle. It works on boats and in your water heater, why not on a R3?.

I still wouldn't ride on chlorided roads, like Bart said, that's what a Honda (or Harley) is for.

I'll look in the Eastwoods catalog. I have their master in paper. I buy my One Shot enamels from them.

They sell a really nice home powdercoat setup. One of the guys at work has one and did a bunch of stuff on his '66 Stingray Convertible. I'd like to have the car, BRG with a tan top and interior. 504 Crate Motor with a Tremag 5 speed....oops. that's the wrong forum.:D

Back