Cooling fan

Nat67

Rockgoblin
Ride
Rocket 3 2010 roadster
The cooing fan on my roadster seems to be refusing to cut in , I'm thinking possibly coz the bike has stood a couple of months . I don't have tune ecu so will have to troubleshoot old school style. Is there a common fail point on the r3 , and also when I remove the stat to check , is the o ring reusable or always best replaced ? There is no air trapped in system and fuse is good . Any input from you guys can save me a lot of time !

The cooing fan on my roadster seems to be refusing to cut in , I'm thinking possibly coz the bike has stood a couple of months . I don't have tune ecu so will have to troubleshoot old school style. Is there a common fail point on the r3 , and also when I remove the stat to check , is the o ring reusable or always best replaced ? There is no air trapped in system and fuse is good . Any input from you guys can save me a lot of time !
Hi Nat - have you done a simple electrical test - ohms scale and heat thermostat ? I personally would replace o ring.

Hi Nat - have you done a simple electrical test - ohms scale and heat thermostat ? I personally would replace o ring.
Scheduled for the morning ! As far as the o ring , you just confirmed what my head was really telling me . Thanks stolly . :thumbsup:

i'd pull fan relay and check for function

also i'd be checking if the coolant temp sensor has fallen out or something, that'd cause ECU to 'think' the engine is nice and cool and not switch fan on

the plug for the fan is a biatch to get to, but if you get in there and stick 12v on it to check it runs ok at least you'd narrow down the location of the problem.

doubt it's anything to do with the turbostat, assuming you've ran the engine until it's good & hot and listened out but didn't hear fan run

i'd pull fan relay and check for function

also i'd be checking if the coolant temp sensor has fallen out or something, that'd cause ECU to 'think' the engine is nice and cool and not switch fan on

the plug for the fan is a biatch to get to, but if you get in there and stick 12v on it to check it runs ok at least you'd narrow down the location of the problem.

doubt it's anything to do with the turbostat, assuming you've ran the engine until it's good & hot and listened out but didn't hear fan run
Yes ran the engine for as long as I was comfortable with , least that tested the rad cap bypass ! All advice makes perfect sense , cheers turbo .

:eek: Bad Nat67, bad!. Have a demerit point!
I know barbagris, I have run out of excuses . I'm just a simple fellow who is a being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century . Money is a good motivator tho and having just done my 10000 mile service , I have had the kick up the arse I needed , spending time at the main dealers ordering and buying service parts has opened my eyes to the nightmare I will have to endure when not if , the management light comes on or something more complicated than a cooling fan stops working ! Even though a close friend of mine is the head technician there , he still has a boss who has a boss and those bosses make lots of money off people , like me who either won't or can't take the time to learn the necessities of a modern motorcycle ! And so my friend , I sent my laptop to be repaired , after sitting with a broken screen for 2 years . And am ordering the cable to tune ecu . The members here who have recently posted the instructional videos and downloads , I thank you ! Bin watching them over and over again and finally come to the realisation that it ain't that hard ! Duuuuuh ! !
Us doond lark chernge ! :banghead: :banghead:

Back