Coolant Temperature and TuneECU Question

Well, it's me again... Two steps forward & one backwards.

Bike ran excellent for several days (500+ miles with some in hot stop&go traffic) but overheated in traffic going to a "Back the Blue" police support rally 5 miles away this morning and it wasn't that hot out.

Symptoms/History:
- Overtemp light DID NOT come on.
- Outlet hose was clogged so it spewed out the overflow bottle cover onto my pipes for a nice smoke show pulling into the rally. Embarrassing to work on it in a crowd...
- Cleaned hose, added water & went home.
- Swapped the two black grounds going to the fuel pump (see related thread). No difference but I think I saw the low fuel light come on when the tank was raised.
- Noticed fan was not coming on.
- 10A Fuse 7 looked OK but I put in a new one.
- Swapped Fan Relay & Fuel Pump Relay and bike started fine.
- Check engine light was already on from a previous issue - Error = TPS, Injector 1, injector 2 voltage. That was AFTER I fixed the oil tank O-Rings.
- Ran TuneECU and fan test passed
- Started bike and noticed that the Temperature on the left side of the Diag screen read normal (went to 105C but fan didn't kick on) BUT, the virtual gauge started at 57C and didn't move more than 1C!!! Q. Is there more than one sensor? If so, which one does the ECU read?
- Checked radiator cap. Seems OK but I will order a new one.
- Pulled the plastic throttle cable protector as it looked like the Coolant Temperature Sensor wire may have been pinched. Reseated it in the connector & the other end seems inserted into the
thermostat engine area OK.

@DEcosse - this may explain the flickering of the LED lights in the previous diagnostic discussion wrt fuel sensor wire breaking..??

At this point I am going to order a new temperature sensor and the radiator cap.

Is there anything else I can do/fix/replace???
Just putting my 2 pennyworth in here, why not give the ole girl a real treat. Drain down and hot flush her with 50/50 distilled vinegar and de anodised water three times to clean all the little nooks out. Then renew your temp sensor and rad cap, finally fill her up with 'Engine ice' My 2010 Touring loved the treatment.

Just putting my 2 pennyworth in here, why not give the ole girl a real treat. Drain down and hot flush her with 50/50 distilled vinegar and de anodised water three times to clean all the little nooks out. Then renew your temp sensor and rad cap, finally fill her up with 'Engine ice' My 2010 Touring loved the treatment.
Yes, she absolutely needs and deserves such pampering.
I wanted to do it but ran out of time.
I did put in Engine Ice when it overheated and am waiting on a new cap, sensor and thermostat.
I’ll do some more PM in the winter.

Back