Catching Neutral

EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
Ok, let's be honest here... how often do y'all catch neutral accidentally? For me, for whatever reason it's been happening a lot more over the past couple of weeks. Always when I'm accelerating aggressively and it's terribly embarrassing to rev bomb that first shift when you're trying to blast off a light. I'm wondering if I should try tweaking my shifter positioning to get better engagement when I'm brain-farting executing a solid upshift. I shift nearly 100% of the time using the shift-assist. I suspect that does create some less than ideal shifting habits (but it's just soo fun!!!)

Oddly, over the past couple of weeks, on deceleration, I've had it slip out of 2nd into neutral all by itself a couple of times. I suspect it's the same cause (me not fully actuating the shift lever on the 3-2 downshift). It's possible also that I'm brushing the top of the shifter with my foot without realizing it, but I don't think I was at those times. Not being intimately familiar with the inner workings of a motorcycle transmission, is that a thing? You can be in gear, but not fully "seated", leaving it more likely to "pop out" of gear? Wondering if I should focus more on my shift effort, or if I should start being concerned there is an issue with the transmission developing.

I am thinking that the linkage may b out of adjustment (manual shift problem) just barley going into 2nd.
if it is popping out it is going to become a problem real quick.

Funny you should say that. The last time I took my bike out I was having trouble going from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. Thinking it was just me but I'm not sure. Seems to be worst when I'm really getting on it.

I've accidently shifted into neutral now and then but have never had it pop out of 2nd into neutral. So far, I blame myself for not giving the lever a full lift or press. It's only happened when I've been leisurely riding and never when I'm "getting on it". If yours is popping out, it's an adjustment issue at the least. Others will be able to provide the technical know how. (...and I'll learn some more! :thumbsup: ). That said, I see you're on the new R3 and I have an R3T... could be apples and oranges.
-MIG

I've had it happen first to second on other bikes, almost always when shifting lazy at real low rpms, ie too soon

Back