I'm doubtful that you'll get the 'magic metal tube' out in one piece. The Palladium is deposited on the substrate which is ceramic and it's very brittle. I'd suspect the (N) catboxes have the tube minus the substrate. In the old days when you could buy leaded regular and you fouled the cat, a pipe run down the converter and then a few hard revs blew the busted substrate out the end. My new KLR has the substrate can built right into the muffler where you can't get to it. I believe the New Rocket 3 that came out this year is the same way (in the mufflers).

Your best bet would be to fracture the substrate and dump it onut much like ashes from the crematory, leaving the tube intact. I used to know at what temperature the Pallidum reacted with the long chain hydrocarbons, it was something like 900 degrees F. Removal of the substrate will lessen the heat quite a bit because there won't be any reaction any more. The only problem is your bike won't pass a NOX emissions test after that. If your municipality ever mandates emissions testing you won't be able to plate it.

If it was me, I'd seal it back up and buy a bypass pipe, either Triumph or Staintune and keep the catbox for future use. With all the stupid azz laws and regulations being adopted in this country daily, you never know when you might need that Pallidum furnace to keep riding.

Just my opinion.

I knew that...

Hey Flip,

Somehow I knew you'd say that. Actually, I have a new cat box I bought on e-bay for $35.00 just so I could tear mine apart to see what makes it tick, so I'm good to go there either way. I think I'll try your idea of leaving the tube in and tearing the guts out. I still have to take the tube out though because there is no straight shot with it in the frame. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Awesome, thanks. I wonder what the sound difference will be. Staintune looks like a great, all be it expensive, alternative.

where are you located? i can tig it back together for you easily if you're close by. let me know where you are and if you're close to muskogee oklahoma, no big deal. i keep stainless filler rod in stock. if you're not close by, most any welding shop could stick it back together for you without any problem.

Hey, Guys, are Cat's a legal requirement in your country ?,coz over here, I been told they're not??there is a cat eliminator pipe available which I've been tempted to get, and I think it's available from the states?.

Link Removed

Some of you are prob' aware anyway, but I thought I'd just throw the thought into the mixer.
I've read somewhere that by using one of these and drilling 4 X 8mm holes in each muffler exit, a richer note, and increased h.p can be achieved??.
I dunno, coz I'm thinking of getting slip-on mufflers like these.

Hey, Guys, are Cat's a legal requirement in your country ?,coz over here, I been told they're not??there is a cat eliminator pipe available which I've been tempted to get, and I think it's available from the states?.

Link Removed

Some of you are prob' aware anyway, but I thought I'd just throw the thought into the mixer.
I've read somewhere that by using one of these and drilling 4 X 8mm holes in each muffler exit, a richer note, and increased h.p can be achieved??.
I dunno, coz I'm thinking of getting slip-on mufflers like these.
If you want a cat eliminator like those - I have one - which I've never tried - came to me used. Black not shiny.

MUCH MUCH CHEAPER if you're interested. Mail me and we'll chat.

Cambell pipes - Oh - get all 6.
rocket3into6-002a.jpg

If you want a cat eliminator like those - I have one - which I've never tried - came to me used. Black not shiny.

MUCH MUCH CHEAPER if you're interested. Mail me and we'll chat.

Cambell pipes - Oh - get all 6.
rocket3into6-002a.jpg
Keepin' the offer in mind,for now, coz trying ta decide about the Campbell's---I'm thinkin' 3 pipes---coz--
(a) price)----:cautious:

(b)could at least use one leather pannier..:thumbsup:

@GRAMPY I don't know how many are still running a cat but an awful lot of us ditched it as one of the first things we did. Before you spend up on cross over pipes you should be clear on what sort (and how many) mufflers you want to run. If you go with the three or six pipes you posted you won't need the bypass you also posted as it's for the original 3 pipe layout. I'm not familiar with the 6 pipe set up, although I have seen pics before, but it probably comes with it's own connector pipe. If you run 1,2 or 3 pipes on just one side, of course you eliminate the whole crossover thing altogether.

@GRAMPY I don't know how many are still running a cat but an awful lot of us ditched it as one of the first things we did. Before you spend up on cross over pipes you should be clear on what sort (and how many) mufflers you want to run. If you go with the three or six pipes you posted you won't need the bypass you also posted as it's for the original 3 pipe layout. I'm not familiar with the 6 pipe set up, although I have seen pics before, but it probably comes with it's own connector pipe. If you run 1,2 or 3 pipes on just one side, of course you eliminate the whole crossover thing altogether.

YES... You're right on all counts-- Appreciated your input.:thumbsup:

Back