@BillyIndiana Can we say H-U-M-A-N ?

For me this follows the law of unintended consequences.

I like the riding height and seating position of the Rocket III Touring, or I wouldn't own it. I'm done done done with owning a bike that is uncomfortable.

The floor boards, for me (did I say for *me*?) are a near essential element for long distance riding. I'm sure I could have steel shank shoes or something, but I've ridden bikes with standard pegs (Nighthawk 250, V-Strom 650, Pacific Coast 800, Honda 125-S, ST1300) and longer than 500 miles, my feet hurt. With boards (Honda CTX 700D with aftermarket Kuryakyn boards, Honda Helix, Aprillia Scarabeo 500, and now the Rocket Tourer) that part of me is comfortable. Of all the bikes mentioned that have shifters (the Aprillia and Helix are scooters with CVT, and the Honda CTX700D is a true dual clutch automatic), none of those had heel shifters. In all those cases, the geometry of the shifter made it a "natural" motion to minimally move my booted foot and working the lever. On the Rocket, that geometry of the toe shifter is just wrong -- for *me*, and while I can use it, I much prefer the heel - just the way my feet sit on the boards. I must mention I did install forward pegs on the fall-over bars that make a big difference in avoiding leg cramps.

@BillyIndiana Can we say H-U-M-A-N ?

For me this follows the law of unintended consequences.

I like the riding height and seating position of the Rocket III Touring, or I wouldn't own it. I'm done done done with owning a bike that is uncomfortable.

The floor boards, for me (did I say for *me*?) are a near essential element for long distance riding. I'm sure I could have steel shank shoes or something, but I've ridden bikes with standard pegs (Nighthawk 250, V-Strom 650, Pacific Coast 800, Honda 125-S, ST1300) and longer than 500 miles, my feet hurt. With boards (Honda CTX 700D with aftermarket Kuryakyn boards, Honda Helix, Aprillia Scarabeo 500, and now the Rocket Tourer) that part of me is comfortable. Of all the bikes mentioned that have shifters (the Aprillia and Helix are scooters with CVT, and the Honda CTX700D is a true dual clutch automatic), none of those had heel shifters. In all those cases, the geometry of the shifter made it a "natural" motion to minimally move my booted foot and working the lever. On the Rocket, that geometry of the toe shifter is just wrong -- for *me*, and while I can use it, I much prefer the heel - just the way my feet sit on the boards. I must mention I did install forward pegs on the fall-over bars that make a big difference in avoiding leg cramps.

Rocket is the first bike I have owned over 1000cc. Love the floorboards and love the heel toe shifter. Got used to it real quick. Nice thing about the R3T is it takes very little to tweak it in to your individual riding needs.

I am finding the down side to any rocket. Performanceitis .

Non taken. I was over exaggerating, but my present boots are flat soles and I am looking for a new pair of boots that have a heel.

They are correct. When I had my seat rebuild they narrowed the horn area making it easier to be flat footed on level ground.

Two of the times I have dropped her I was on a slanted road. I have a habit of putting my left foot down first while keeping my right foot on the brake.

Once I may have forgotten to put down the stand?

You dropped the bike while not moving? May I ask if it was damaged when it fell, just out of interest.

Mine has been dropped twice while not moving - once trying to ride it up on a dolly for the first time, and the other with my wife on the back during our first trip on the bike, and I came to a stop at an angle with the front wheel on the raised pavement of the main road and the back wheel on the lower pavement of the parking lot, and I was not prepared for the extra extension needed for my left leg. Unlike @Steel who *can* wrestle bears (or alligators as the case may be), I cannot, and down we went, and my wife jumped up mad as a hornet with the look that could kill saying, "What did you do that for ?!"

There was (still is) barest scratch on the underside of the rear dresser bar from the latter incident, and a bare scratch on the underside of the right muffler from the first incident.

Well-designed configuration.

Mine has been dropped twice while not moving - once trying to ride it up on a dolly for the first time, and the other with my wife on the back during our first trip on the bike, and I came to a stop at an angle with the front wheel on the raised pavement of the main road and the back wheel on the lower pavement of the parking lot, and I was not prepared for the extra extension needed for my left leg. Unlike @Steel who *can* wrestle bears (or alligators as the case may be), I cannot, and down we went, and my wife jumped up mad as a hornet with the look that could kill saying, "What did you do that for ?!"

There was (still is) barest scratch on the underside of the rear dresser bar from the latter incident, and a bare scratch on the underside of the right muffler from the first incident.

Thanks for that. I was wondering what damage would be done on a drop while stopped.

I had almost that same situation. I stopped on an uphill incline and with the slope of the road by the time my left foot hit the ground the bike was too far over for me to handle.
Ema went to the ground. I was laughing my @ss off. I never saw someone take such a long time to fall such a short distance in ll my life. She was not amused.

Bike was running in first gear so I had to keep my hand on the clutch and stay with the bike till I hit the kill switch.

It was poetry in motion.:)

After inspecting the bike and realizing there was no damage it gave me the confidence that when I am in that type of situation to just let the bike go down.

2 of the 3 times I dropped her I got her up by myself. Third time I needed assistance.

I was with a friend that dropped his full dresser Harley in a driveway. It had no bars on it. The only thing that saved the panniers was he dropped it in the grass.

I always try to position the bike in a way that minimizes the of movement under no power. I find that if I have to move the machine any distance without power, I move it from the side vice sitting in the saddle and trying to walk it.

Good luck

As I back into her garage spot, I've also found moving the bike is much easier when I shift her into Neutral rather than just pulling in the clutch (which I actually do 95% of the time).
-MIG

I think I've only dropped it once, the first day I got it. I was backing it up while turning it and hit a bump. The bike fell to it's side on the grass so no damage.

I don't worry about dropping it while my wife is on, I just wish I had more room between the boards. The more I think about I think I'm just going to look for a smaller aftermarket floorboards and unbolt the heel shifter.

You dropped the bike while not moving? May I ask if it was damaged when it fell, just out of interest.
No damage what so ever, but remember mine is a Touring and has crash bars front and back.

As soon as the bike is under power the weight goes away except for dipping into a turn. She does not get heavy until you stop and let her get over too far on one side or another.

I find when coming to a stop sign I approach it straight on. I don't turn the front wheel and stop. Something you can easily do with a small bike.

Last edited:
Back