Blue Ridge Parkway's 6 motorcycle deaths this year - Analysis and general MC crash data

GREAT article, thanks for posting! Not everyone thinks about how different bikes react on different roadways, how a heavier, lower bike will handle a "decreasing radius curve", or a "graded curve". I had a Thruxton and a Scrambler I had been driving for a few years. I was considering a bigger bike and my buddy offered to sell me his Harley Road King and let me take it for a ride. We have a road that's called Trinity Road where it starts in Sonoma County and then turns into Dry Creek Road and then Oakville Grade on the Napa County side. Not sure why I thought that was a good place to take a bike that big on a test drive, but at least now I know after reading this article what I did a couple of times is called "Tri-Podding". Made it to the other side, but took a different route back home. I'm happy to say my Rocket handles that road just fine, probably my favorite thing about this bike is how well it handles curves, for being such a beast in the straightaway!

Attachments

• TrinityOak.JPG
    TrinityOak.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for posting the article. My opinion is that the BRP is not dangerous at all. It is safer and easier to ride than most of the rural roads in the area I live in. I won't go into all the specifics of why I feel that way but i find the road boring except for the scenery. The corners are all the same and it is over engineered in my opinion. I have tested this by setting my cruise control on, a large Harley bagger, at 44 mph and riding the road for many miles finding that I never had to slow down by rolling off or tapping the brakes. You can not that on the Dragon or most of the other roads I ride. I find it hard to believe that a large bike cannot make a corner up there, using both lanes, and avoid the guardrail on the other side at even 50 mph.

The BRP is an easy curved road.

Last edited:
I miss a lot of memos; I had never heard the term "tripodded' before. But I sure understand what it will do to a rider. I have previously told of the mishap with a coworker's husband back in 2010. For his retirement present, he bought a CVO Ultra and added about $10K more to its cost with even more farkles. He then proceeded to run out our local hot spot, Joplin Rd., where he ran out of lean angle and lifted the rear tire. I helped his son with the insurance claim on the bike by gathering the receipts from the local HD shop where he added all the extras. It is quite sad when these things happen.

Thanks for posting the article. My opinion is that the BRP is not dangerous at all. It is safer and easier to ride than most of the rural roads in the area I live in. I won't go into all the specifics of why I feel that way but i find the road boring except for the scenery. The corners are all the same and it is over engineered in my opinion. I have tested this by setting my cruise control on, a large Harley bagger, at 44 mph and riding the road for many miles finding that I never had to slow down by rolling off or tapping the brakes. You can not that on the Dragon or most of the other roads I ride. I find it hard to believe that a large bike cannot make a corner up there, using both lanes, and avoid the guardrail on the other side at even 50 mph.

The BRP is an easy curved road.
I agree, Mel, BRP is hardly a technical road. Tail is cool to do once in a while but too much like work for this old fart, lol.

I agree, Mel, BRP is hardly a technical road. Tail is cool to do once in a while but too much like work for this old fart, lol.

And I agree with you Tripps and @Dr.D about the parkway. It's "safe" and boorriing. That's why I'm always shocked when I hear of a fatality on it. But "stuff" can and does happen anywhere. My theory, and I'm sticking with it, is that "experienced rider" is counted as someone who has been riding for years- but the real question is how much, how often, and where.

I too have enjoyed reading this ..even tho i dont know this area obviously as i come from the other side of the planet, but i do relate to the dangers of complacency that is developed by having ridden bikes for years. I find myself climbing aboard and just going thru the familiar things as i settle into the ride....gazing about at scenery and doing things on auto pilot.
Also, as many others no doubt, i twist the throttle a bit too far when on the twisties in order to feed my hunger for 'The Buzz'...its great when you get away with it but these Rockets we ride are heavy and you need to be able to manipulate them thru corners with off and on acceleration....gear selection and minimum braking...meanwhile some young bugger zips past on a sports bike and the challenge is on!....TAL!...its time to let him go!

I too have enjoyed reading this ..even tho i dont know this area obviously as i come from the other side of the planet, but i do relate to the dangers of complacency that is developed by having ridden bikes for years. I find myself climbing aboard and just going thru the familiar things as i settle into the ride....gazing about at scenery and doing things on auto pilot.
Also, as many others no doubt, i twist the throttle a bit too far when on the twisties in order to feed my hunger for 'The Buzz'...its great when you get away with it but these Rockets we ride are heavy and you need to be able to manipulate them thru corners with off and on acceleration....gear selection and minimum braking...meanwhile some young bugger zips past on a sports bike and the challenge is on!....TAL!...its time to let him go!
I am of the opinion that spirited riding calls for high intensity focus and therefore can be safer than riding around on autopilot daydreaming and gazing on the countryside. When I’m twisting the wick I’m on high alert reading nothing but the road and scanning for critters and cars. The BRP is very scenic and lazy therefore could be a dangerous road. Not because it’s challenging or technical but it lulls you into a state of divided attention.

J'ai adoré la BRP en 1994, sur un Katana 1 100 cc., avec une passagère. Les courbes selon moi sont très bien faites et peuvent acceuillir des débutants sans problème. Mais faire ce chemin ou encore la Dragon Tail avec un R3 n'est pas la même chose, il y a près de 300 lbs de différence à manipuler. Après l'achat de ma R3, ( versus ma r1200gs) j'ai vite constaté que j'avais besoin d'un refresh,:pouces vers le haut: et j'ai profité d'un nouveau cours de 4 heures , 4 exercices, basé sur les accidents les plus fréquents que des nouveaux propriétaires ou acheteurs récents de moto ont été victime. Même après 36 ans de motocycliste, ce cours de moto m'a aidé à bien apprivoiser ma nouvelle moto et à mieux choisir une trajectoire dans les courbes. J'ai hâte que nos frontières reviennent comme avant pour retourner dans ces belles courbes et paysages. Soyez prudents:frais:

Attachments

• Blue ridge 1994.jpg
    Blue ridge 1994.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 6
J'ai adoré la BRP en 1994, sur un Katana 1 100 cc., avec une passagère. Les courbes selon moi sont très bien faites et peuvent acceuillir des débutants sans problème. Mais faire ce chemin ou encore la Dragon Tail avec un R3 n'est pas la même chose, il y a près de 300 lbs de différence à manipuler. Après l'achat de ma R3, ( versus ma r1200gs) j'ai vite constaté que j'avais besoin d'un refresh,:pouces vers le haut: et j'ai profité d'un nouveau cours de 4 heures , 4 exercices, basé sur les accidents les plus fréquents que des nouveaux propriétaires ou acheteurs récents de moto ont été victime. Même après 36 ans de motocycliste, ce cours de moto m'a aidé à bien apprivoiser ma nouvelle moto et à mieux choisir une trajectoire dans les courbes. J'ai hâte que nos frontières reviennent comme avant pour retourner dans ces belles courbes et paysages. Soyez prudents:frais:
A nice reminder that this is an international community. I was curious what you said, as my French is poor despite having grown up in south Louisiana, so I hope you won't mind the Google translation of your post (below) to English. Let the good times roll!
Un bon rappel qu'il s'agit d'une communauté internationale. J'étais curieux de savoir ce que vous avez dit, car mon français est pauvre malgré avoir grandi dans le sud de la Louisiane, donc j'espère que vous ne vous soucierez pas de la traduction Google de votre message en anglais.st to English. Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I loved the BRP in 1994, on a Katana 1,100 cc., with a passenger. The curves in my opinion are very well made and can accommodate beginners without problem. But making this path or the Dragon Tail with an R3 is not the same thing, there is almost 300 lbs of difference to handle. After buying my R3, (versus my r1200gs) I quickly found that I needed a refresh,:p ouces up: and I took advantage of a new 4-hour course, 4 exercises, based on the most frequent accidents that new owners or recent motorcycle buyers have been victimized. Even after 36 years of motorcyclist, this motorcycle course helped me to tame my new bike and to better choose a trajectory in the curves. I can't wait for our borders to return as before to return to these beautiful curves and landscapes. Be careful:fresh:

Back