I'm In

It's 687 miles from my abode. I was thinking around late April or early May, depending on how bad Uncle Sam rapes me at tax time. I'm with Flip on this one, I don't do tents. My old back will need a **** nice hotel bed and a real cold beer upon arrival. I would much rather do this than Daytona anymore. To each his own, but the last time I went to the Big Beach the noise and crowds took all of the fun out of the trip. I'm not running any saddle bags, what is the strongest brand of Hefty on the market?

Hey Dudes....and Dude-etts :confused:
I just read the Rat Raid schedule for next year and there is no Barber Museum meet on the list. They are however getting together for the Dragon on April 27-29th. There could be a stong possibility of myself making that for the "week off from the grind" vacation. Either that or the British in the Blueridge, which i'm still waiting for them to post the run date. As far as accomodations....come to think about it...i did pretty much get struck by lightning during a Armegedon like thunderstorm at 29 Dreams while in my tent! A good ole' motel sounds pretty good in the spring!:rolleyes: Bigern

Petersburg Luggage

Hondax said:
Contractor's grade refuse bags. Get the 3mil and higher thickness.:)

I read the Britman bag thing and Hondax's reply and it brings back memories of when I started snowmobiling many years ago. Snowmobiling is a real clothes intensive thing. Besides your sled and helmet and heated shield, you need lots of warm clothes and a snowmobile suit and insulated boots and that's just the outer layer. You need changes of undies, socks, tee shirts, shower gear, the list is endless. Snowmobile manufacturers make real nice EXPENSIVE color coordinated and graphic bags to carry all this which I still have (of course no sleds anymore, bikes replaced those) but when I started out a long time ago I didn't have any luggage so I stuffed everything in black plastic garbage bags. The good Hefty contractor ones. They don't rip when really cold.

My adoring wife nicknamed the plastic bags "Petersburg Luggage" after the town we live nearby and it was a catchy name. Now, everyone around here calls their stuffed bags on a sled trip "Petersburg Luggage"

I'm all for the Barber Museum. The Dragon sends shivers up my spine. Last year, some of the Bonneville guys did the Dragon and one became part of a bridge abutment and wound up in the hospital in Knoxville and a well shod Bonnie or Thruxton with modified suspension is a way better handler than a Rocket any day. Besides, I keep hearing the Dragon is loaded with Barney Fife's and stupid bikers on the wrong side of the road (like I overcooked the curve and crossed the centerline). I also know that the accommodations at the Dragon are less than "Holiday Inn" level. I'm not a play racer. If I wanted to go that route I'd have a Ducati or an MV Augusta.

This old fart is looking forward to the "Last Great Adventure" with some trepidation. I don't want to begin quite that soon.:eek:

Just a suggestion

I would suggest that we all get through the Christmas and New Year holidays and toward the end of January do some serious planning. Right now my schedule includes getting ready for Christmas on the home front (all of the in-laws show up at my house because we go to theirs for Turkey day which doesn't involve all of that **** wrapping paper.) Getting items ready for antique shop for the busy season, and we do warehouse inventory between Xmas and New Years at my full time job. I also have a new puppy that has entirely different conception of house training than I do, lays in his water bowl, and assumes the world is a chew toy. The final straw is an absessed rear molar with enough prior filling to lead in a 50 Mercury that will either get a root canal or yanked within the next couple of days. Happy #$#@%$ holidays. Anyway enough of the Holiday cheer, I am 99% sure I will be going in the spring, I really would like to see a good number of you guys make the trip and even some from the land of the flying monkeys if possible. Looks like a good spot to roost and tell Rocket lies. Happy Holidays to all.

Speaking of flying monkeys... I've got one stuck in the grill of the Caddy... stupid things..

It would be a 2 hr. trip for me but I'd make the sacrifice to meet this bunch of obcessed Rocketeers.

Good stuff. I really want to go to Daytona, but that is in late March. Would be great to time it to be able to cut through Bama on the way back to Kansas City. Keep this thread going as it helps cure the winter non riding blues!

Barber Motorsports Museum

And, should you need a Triumph dealer there's Bogart's only 10 minutes away (Rocket speed), just off of I-459. 29 Dreams also has a small repair shop on the grounds as well, they do a lot of tires. They have live music in the summer. US 25 South out of Leeds, heading to 29 Dreams is quite twisty and a challenge. I live another 15 minutes south of there. I heard recently, from TNT Titan Cycles mechanic, a motorcycle resort (eg. 29 Dreams) is under construction near (~4 N) Rockford on US231 south from Sylacauga.

Last edited:
Back