Bad penny Returns again

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
A few years back I parted out a early 06 R3, which had more problems than a preacher arrested in a Whore house, on Saturday night. That being said I still really enjoyed the ride, and feel of the 2300 cc's.
I know they stopped production in 2018, and the new version will be out this year. I will NOT touch a new model again for the first few years.
I have been looking around at the later years, and have found some on the block. I do have a few questions that I hope you folks can help me out with.
First : I have a below knee artificial leg and it will not bend to fit the right side foot peg. My last bike was used and I did not have any problem. Don't know if they were factory set the same way in 06 or the first or 2nd owner might have moved it forward. Also noticed that there is a bar that the right peg & controls are mounted on. Does that have the ability to adjust it forward??
Second : Figuring that it is factory stock, what kind of bugs do they still have in them.
Third : can you still twerk in the computer from your laptop.
Thanks In Advance
Russ

Gday

I have a friend that's got a false leg and he still rides an R3 but has a touring now. He thought he wouldn't be able to manage the R3 with one leg but doesn't seem to have been an issue. The earlier R3 footpegs are further forward than the later Roadsters but maybe look at an R3T?

The usual issues are still around.

And yes you can still in the computer from your laptop

Hello Brother and welcome back. Is there any reason you don't want a Rocket with floor boards? I know you are seeing the pegged bikes at the moment, but there are some great deals out there on R3Ts as well.

One thing I like about this Forum is the GIFs that show up. Being a old sailor I really appreciate TRUE art.
On the leg question I have been hauling this thing around for a bit over 30 years. The doctors told me that my MC days were over, but I seem to figure out a way to modify. Right now we are down to 4 bikes. All Indian, two Scouts, and she has a Vintage that I mounted a sidecar on, then my Springfield.
I prefer floorboards for a number of reasons, but have not seen any on the internet. Plus have to figure a way to move the controls forward. Easy way would be to slide forward then have new cables & brake hose made. I have that motorcycle shop in the back yard and am pretty good at Jerry-rigging.
One problem that was really getting to me on the 06 was the voltage regulator. Seemed they like to burn out. Where they were located there was very little air movement moving across them for cooling. Did they correct that?? Beefing up the diodes would have helped also.

Well hello again. We met a few years back at the dealership in OKC. First and last time the bike saw a dealer. (tire change) 50,000 miles on the Rocket X and no issues.

One thing I like about this Forum is the GIFs that show up. Being a old sailor I really appreciate TRUE art.
On the leg question I have been hauling this thing around for a bit over 30 years. The doctors told me that my MC days were over, but I seem to figure out a way to modify. Right now we are down to 4 bikes. All Indian, two Scouts, and she has a Vintage that I mounted a sidecar on, then my Springfield.
I prefer floorboards for a number of reasons, but have not seen any on the internet. Plus have to figure a way to move the controls forward. Easy way would be to slide forward then have new cables & brake hose made. I have that motorcycle shop in the back yard and am pretty good at Jerry-rigging.
One problem that was really getting to me on the 06 was the voltage regulator. Seemed they like to burn out. Where they were located there was very little air movement moving across them for cooling. Did they correct that?? Beefing up the diodes would have helped also.

Hi Russ

On the regulator rectifier issue the issue was more the alternator overheating and requiring a motor pull down to repair. I will stand corrected but the issues was the type of RR they used pushed the unwanted energy back into the alternator causing excess heat, by changing this (relatively cheap) to a different type from a Suzuki (but they are all really OEM parts so probable Nippon Denso anyway) it negates this issue and switches the alternator. I have done this recently and relocated the RR to under the sidecover. Did this before seeing someone else's recent post where they appear to have managed to fit the new larger unit with some careful cutting of plastic.

20180603_161738.jpg

Back