Toystoretom

Living Legend
I'm seeing more and more ape hangers running around town, some of them are very radical. Just off the top of my head I think the bike flunks Missouri Vehicle Inspection if any part of the bar is higher than 15 inches than the base of the seat unless its the stock setup (no room for interpretation there, eh?) . Some of the ones I'm seeing are way higher than this..

What's the attraction of these? Any Rockets out there with them??

Seems like I heard of one state where they were Illegal and guys would keep the mounting bolts kind of loose so the ape hangers could be pulled down when they saw a cop.:eek:

I do seem to be noticing more newer bikes outfitted that way.

Get a dvd copy of Easy Rider and watch the bonus interview with Peter Fonda. He said after riding that chopper all day he couldn't even raise his arm to drink a beer!:p

What goes up must... etc.

When I was still a teenage biker and touring the UK on my BSA Spitoil, I got pulled over a couple of times by the Brit motorway patrol due to my clip-on bars being mounted way too low. Whch, in hindsight, they were. But then, that was THE trendy, BSA Goldstar Clubman-inspired "extreme" (pardon the neologism) look in the UK.

But then , we "was" constantly flirting with the "ton" (i.e. 100 mph) on both motorways and side roads.... which would not have been possible with touring bars, let alone ape-hangers, on 40-50 BHP mounts.

Nostalgia is no longer what it used to be:cool:

Tom you are on the right track. Triumph has been testing some out to offer as an accessory item across the product range. They are to be called "High Mount Armpit Ram Air Bars." This is a spy shot of a set on a Speed Triple.

Back