I say you’ve already own a full touring bike get a Roadster and have something different. The main reason to buy a R3 is for the strong motor and the Roadster is all motor and no extra weight. Either way good luck and try to enjoy the Harley.;)

That is an excellent point. I've got 50K on my Harley and I put the last 35K on it myself. It started witha 96 ci motor, built to a 103 by the first owner, then to a 107 by me, I put a new 110 ci in it after the 107 started blowing head gaskets thanks to the head bolts pulling out of the crankcase at 40K. Anyway, I guess that shows I'm usually on the lookout for more power.

That is an excellent point. I've got 50K on my Harley and I put the last 35K on it myself. It started witha 96 ci motor, built to a 103 by the first owner, then to a 107 by me, I put a new 110 ci in it after the 107 started blowing head gaskets thanks to the head bolts pulling out of the crankcase at 40K. Anyway, I guess that shows I'm usually on the lookout for more power.
I’ve been down similar roads building and rebuilding several Harley’s. I traded in a CVO built motor Fatbob for my R3 Roadster and I’m still on the lookout for more power. There ain’t no max for guys like us. ;) Have you driven a Rocket yet? These are mighty motor bikes.

I’ve been down similar roads building and rebuilding several Harley’s. I traded in a CVO built motor Fatbob for my R3 Roadster and I’m still on the lookout for more power. There ain’t no max for guys like us. ;) Have you driven a Rocket yet? These are mighty motor bikes.
No, I hope to get my first ride on two Rockets for sale in the LA area on Sunday. Think positive that I will bring one of them home.

No, I hope to get my first ride on two Rockets for sale in the LA area on Sunday. Think positive that I will bring one of them home.
I hope you find something that you really like.

I hope you find something that you really like.

News Flash! I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic with 23,000 + miles! :):):) 99% of the finish.....the paint, the chrome, the wiring, etc., is like new to my old eyes, there are a few light scuffs in the chrome on the muffler cones/tips. There is a small scuff over a tiny dent on that big chrome piece over the intakes on the left side of the tank. There is some wear on the front shift lever rubber. Some scratches on the very outer upper left side edge of the windshield. The bike is otherwise dusty and dirty here and there, needs a bath and wax/polish. The front tire, Metzler Marathon is worn out, the rear, a Bridgestone Extra 'something' is like new.......man, that thing has got to be several inches wider than the rear tire on my Harley Ultra....240!

There were a few surprises I am unaccustomed to like needing to pull in the clutch lever or it will not start....what is up with that? Same thing with the kickstand.....it has to be up or down or parked in Compton, CA before the bike will start??? Good grief. Anyway, I will figure that stuff out eventually. I was amazed how rock solid the bike felt on my first ever ride on a Rocket and how incredibly wide that gas tank is. The suspension feels stiff and the steering and balance feels substantially different than my Harley but nothing I can't learn. Of course being my first and only ride I did not punch it, all I wanted to do is confirm smooth shifting up and down through the gears over a mile or so and never took it over 70 mph, but clearly it felt capable of doing nearly double that. Surprising how quiet it is compared to my Harley. Discovered my size 14 clodhoppers can't get a toe under the front lever, I see I could adjust it a little but may still need to have my left foot cocked outward to fit on the floorboard. Not a big deal because I much prefer heel/toe shifting over toe only.

My plan now is to change all the fluids so I have a baseline date and mileage to work with in my records and to help plan/schedule future maintenance. New front tire and new battery are in order ASAP too. Also, although bike has the back rest, sissy bar, luggage rack, floorboards, heel toe shift lever I wanted, I still need engine and bag guard bars, bags of some sort, hard or leather.

What else should I be doing other than get the title transferred, registered, insurance? I'll post pictures eventually.....if I can figure out how to do that......color is a two-toned maroon and cream color with an awesome gold pin-stripe separating the two colors.......yeehaw!!! Glad I did not cave to the Touring model. Now I've got both the horses and torque plus gauges where I can see them up on the bars and some Touring model features like the boards and heel/toe shift ......and the awesomely sexy look of the Roadster. I think the Classic is a good choice for me.

@RockOn welcome to the forum and congratz on joining the League of Captains.

Since you are going to replace the front tire you might want to check the forum. Many say that downsizing t oa 140 improves the steering. Sure someone will chime in if I am wrong.

Grip it and rip it, but hang on.:thumbsup:

Great news, something you really like is now in your garage.

I had some of the same issues at first like wide tank awe, weird clutch it, and odd for me peg placement. I swear the first dozen times I went to first I hit the gear lever with my heel. The pegs on the Roaster are way back of any Harley I ever rode.

I initially was not overly impressed with the power but that was because I was afraid to twist hard and let her rev. Once you get your comfort level up let the beast feed generously on petrol. Be cautious of hard throttle in first it might wheelie and pull your arm muscles loose from the tendons. This kind of torque is addictive.

I went the opposite way you did with the dressings. Mine came with bags and the passenger backrest which I removed to create the look I was after. I have a full dresser for days I need that. On days I don’t the stripped Rocket lean and extremely mean is my bike of choice. Enjoy mate and welcome to the fray.

Back