RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Hey To All. I'm shopping for a Rocket III to keep me and my '09 Harley Ultra company. Virtually all the guys I ride with have 2 or more bikes and I'm getting a serious case of bike envy. I've been interested in the Rocket since it first hit the streets. Anyway, I've downloaded the digital versions of the owner's manual and shop manual for '05 to '07 and have gained a fairly good idea about the mechanics and maintenance required.

Based only on reviews I have read I am leaning towards the Touring model which appears to have a little more torque and horsepower numbers are reduced from the 140 to 105 or thereabouts, apparently making the bike a bit more manageable for touring type riders like myself. However the Roadster types have an appeal I can't ignore, plus their gauges are up on the bars where I can better see them.

I have some questions and hope to get some answers from R3Owners:

1. Can the touring accessories I see mounted on the Touring model be mounted on the base roadster model.....floorboards, engine guards/crash bars, luggage rack, heel toe shifter, back rest, hard bags, etc., ?

2. Other than tuning and accessories, is there any significant difference in the engines and frames between the different models and model years?

3. Are there certain models in certain years that should be avoided?

Thanks very much for any info you share.

WELCOME to ya, from WA State.
If you are primarily a comfort seeker, the touring would be your cup of tea.
If hooning is in your blood, go for the Roadster.

I'm no expert, I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once . . .

A Touring comes with most of the goodies -- which take substantial work to replicate on the Roadster. That's not to say there aren't people who enjoy the challenge, and if you're one of those, by all means go for it. You'll find a dozen years of accumulated knowledge in these pages, and I strongly recommend you do your research.

If all things are equal (and they never are), while there are substantial differences in the frame, the engines are virtually identical, and while we're here, if you are looking at either Touring or Roadster, there are no model years to avoid.

So the difference in performance you cite, is almost entirely a function of the programming in the common Engine Control Unit (ECU).

So in terms of relative effort, it is far easier to buy a Touring, that has all the goodies (though I must say, a bit problematic here in 2018, some fourteen years these remarkable machines have been produced, a Touring purchased now off the floor, would be what-you-see-is-what-you-get as for the most part the accessories for the Touring have dried up) - so Touring, with the add-ons, and remap the ECU to approach the performance of the Roadster, than the converse of buying the Roadster and going through the long, complicated exercise of adding the goodies.

Again, it totally depends on your expectations.

I totally agree with @1olbull that the potential in the bikes lies in how they sit. Why add gel seats, bags, back rest, top box, and so on, if your heart is really into scraping the pegs ?

One substantial difference in the two models to consider is the tires are narrower on the Touring, making it a bit more comfortable for low speed handling.

One thing I will tell you, a Rocket is one of those rare items in the universe where the pleasure of wanting and anticipation is matched by the real thing when finally in your stable.

I say you’ve already own a full touring bike get a Roadster and have something different. The main reason to buy a R3 is for the strong motor and the Roadster is all motor and no extra weight. Either way good luck and try to enjoy the Harley.;)

I'm no expert, I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once . . .

A Touring comes with most of the goodies -- which take substantial work to replicate on the Roadster. That's not to say there aren't people who enjoy the challenge, and if you're one of those, by all means go for it. You'll find a dozen years of accumulated knowledge in these pages, and I strongly recommend you do your research.

If all things are equal (and they never are), while there are substantial differences in the frame, the engines are virtually identical, and while we're here, if you are looking at either Touring or Roadster, there are no model years to avoid.

So the difference in performance you cite, is almost entirely a function of the programming in the common Engine Control Unit (ECU).

So in terms of relative effort, it is far easier to buy a Touring, that has all the goodies (though I must say, a bit problematic here in 2018, some fourteen years these remarkable machines have been produced, a Touring purchased now off the floor, would be what-you-see-is-what-you-get as for the most part the accessories for the Touring have dried up) - so Touring, with the add-ons, and remap the ECU to approach the performance of the Roadster, than the converse of buying the Roadster and going through the long, complicated exercise of adding the goodies.

Again, it totally depends on your expectations.

I totally agree with @1olbull that the potential in the bikes lies in how they sit. Why add gel seats, bags, back rest, top box, and so on, if your heart is really into scraping the pegs ?

One substantial difference in the two models to consider is the tires are narrower on the Touring, making it a bit more comfortable for low speed handling.

One thing I will tell you, a Rocket is one of those rare items in the universe where the pleasure of wanting and anticipation is matched by the real thing when finally in your stable.

Although I am 70 I do like the occasional thrill of winding out my 110 Ultra to 100 plus for a few moments before my panties get wet, if you know what I mean. As for peg scraping those days are well behind me now. Just knowing I have, "...a rocket in my pocket....." would probably be just as satifying to me as occasionaly proving it. For long distance riding I need a backrest and my size 14 feet need floorboards. I see a local bike on Craigslist, a 2005 with 19,000 miles for $5500, looks like new but no guard bars or floorboards or backrest but I figure I could muster up those things eventually. I have seen a nice Mustang seat on eBay for the Rocket with a backrest, chrome studs too, yeehaw.

Back