Anoother Shock Question

hinglby

.040 Over
Hello everyone! I've had my progressive 440 shocks for exactly 1 year. Unfortunately they have failed. There is no rebound control, regardless of spring adjustment, 1 up or 2 up they bottom out. I re-installed the stock shocks and they are better than the 440's. I can't find my receipt and I don't remember where i purchased them so progressive will not warranty.

So after looking at all the options and reading all the shock info from all the captains on this site, I am more confused than before.

Which ones: Ohlins, Hagon, Works, YSS ????

Stats: me - 220lbs, better half 120lbs, luggage 20lbs, corbin bags, fairing and my better half is on the back %50 of the time. Aggressive riding habits to the point that I have cord showing on the rear tire every 6k miles.

Any suggestions will be a great help

Thanks - keep the rubber side down.

Hello RiderRocketman,

I didn't really expect them to repair for free since I have no proof of purchase. My bigger concern is that they failed within a year. A lifetime warranty is useless if I have to pull them every year for repair.

These shocks worked perfectly on the bike without the HD springs and then failed on my way home from Sturgis. So even with HD springs the odds are they will fail. Rebound control is not a part of the spring function.

Thanks for the reply though.

If you're overloading the springs then sure they would be prone to fail. You are overloading them at least half the time because, well, you ain't light and then add in your pillion and gear. My standard 440s are over 2 years old with over 30000 miles on them and still in fine working order. I don't often have a passenger though but do a ton of hard riding on uneven surfaces.

If you're looking for top notch shocks then Ohlins and YSS have been proven performers. There's threads around here about them. The Hagons I think are a step up from Progressive but not the best. The Works I haven't heard much about.

Wilbers made in germany are great, you can also order them with a greater [better cornering] or shorter length (plus/minus 20mm).
Expensive but good.

Thanks everyone for the information! I appreciate it. I think since they failed within a year I will try something new. Great information though!

Thanks!

I have the Hagon Nitro's with the "heavy" springs (black only). I also went to 13.4" (from stock 12.5") to increase rear ride height and sharpen the steering (I'm planning on going to the dark side). The shocks are really top shelf and I chose them over the Progressive 440's because I wanted more adjustability than the 440's offered. They also warranty the item and will rebuild it, and since there is only ONE distributor in the US, they know who bought the darn thing and when. Best of luck to you.

Michel said:
Wilbers made in germany are great, you can also order them with a greater [better cornering] or shorter length (plus/minus 20mm).
Expensive but good.

+1

Really liked them on mine

hinglby said:
Thanks everyone for the information! I appreciate it. I think since they failed within a year I will try something new. Great information though!

Thanks!

I would contact Progressive and ask how much they would charge to update with HD springs. On my last bike they refitted them for me at no charge and also rebuilt them, they have always been a good company to work with......I would try that first before spending a lot to replace, if you don't want to do that, sell them to me really cheap and I will get them updated for my bike. :wink:

Back