Air filled seat cushions

CrzystghndKC

Triumph guy happy he didn't work for Harley.
Ride
Triumph: 2005 & 2011 R3 Roadster
Getting ready for a couple week ride has anybody used an air filled seat cushion and liked it? Which cushion do you like? Thanks.

I just rode about 1500 miles on an Airhawk Cruiser R small on my BMW. It's not too bad, but not too good either. My wife loves hers though.
I much preferred the Saddlemen gel seat pad I used for the other 2000 miles of that trip

I have had the Airhawk for a 4 years on my Roadster and 11 years on my Bonneville, love both of them but the trick is not to have too much air in them, you will surprised how little air is needed to make them comfortable. On the Roadster I have the a Airhawk forward so my tail bone is right on the rear edge of the cushion and works fine.

Last edited:
I prefer using the Propad gel cushion with tail bone cutout. Works great and keeps me glued to the seat. I also have an airhawk cushion, but after trying all levels of inflation it just felt like I was sitting on a marshmallow and not connected to the bike. Granted straights were fine, but in corners I kept feeling like I was rolling to the outside of my seat and had to squeeze my i side leg tighter to compensate. Just didn’t get confident on it so now the Airhawk is my cager and airline pad. Purple makes a gel like pad as well and feels even more luxurious. Bed Bath and Beyond carries them and I tried them in the store, but I haven’t bought one to try on the bike.

I rode a few hours on a borrowed Air Hawk last year - it was near the end of a long trip and my ass was really killing me. It helped quite a bit and I was reluctant to give it back to its owner when we parted ways. I've got the factory gel seat, which is great for day to day and shorter rides, but I plan on getting one before my next >4 hour ride.

As @motolink points out, you don't want to blow it up all the way. The way it works is that it allows you to constantly shift position so all your weight is not resting on the same slab of butt meat for extended periods.

OK - My findings.

Air works fine as long as the underlying seat is hard and you don't intend to do much in curves. But has a huge drawback ime if you will be changing altitude and ambient temperature frequently. So much so I gave up.

Gel is imo better than air - but can be a real headache if you leave it on uncovered in blazing sun - it will get hot enough to burn flesh.

The best bike-centric thing I have used is 3D mesh. There are a few seat covers about (I use a cover over Gel) - I only know one company that makes "cushions". Treat Lite2 Motorcycle Comfort Seating - Dan Medica South Ltd - I use 3D cushions for work as I am sat a lot.

However - I have found they are ALL outclassed by wearing rider-centric padding. Moto-Skiveez underwear (like cycling shorts a bit) and well lined (or close fitting HD leather) trousers.

Bear in mind that what works for one may not work well for others based on the shape of the Ischia and body weight.

I rode a few hours on a borrowed Air Hawk last year - it was near the end of a long trip and my ass was really killing me. It helped quite a bit and I was reluctant to give it back to its owner when we parted ways. I've got the factory gel seat, which is great for day to day and shorter rides, but I plan on getting one before my next >4 hour ride.

As @motolink points out, you don't want to blow it up all the way. The way it works is that it allows you to constantly shift position so all your weight is not resting on the same slab of butt meat for extended periods.
If you follow the instructions correctly, it has a minimum amount of air in it. It's not like a blow up mattress or pillow. Mine lookls like it has almost no air in it but when my fat ass hits the seat the air forms a very small air cushion of the full area of the seat.
How to Properly Adjust the AIRHAWK Motorcycle Cushion | Airhawk

Back