A Simple Way To Add Ground Wire Capacity

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I have been continuing to make modifications to my R3T over the winter since I can't ride it and the weather sucks! My cargo trailer leaves me just enough room to work and a small heater makes for a decent working temperature and environment.

Anyway, there has been a lot of discussion about the inadequate size of the ground wire on the rocket and many people have changed it out to help improve starting. You don't need to replace the wire if you don't want to and I consider doing so to be a waste of time. All you need to do is add a 6 gage wire to the battery negative terminal and ground it to the chassis. This will add up to 70 amps of current carrying capacity from your negative battery terminal to chassis ground. It is foolish to think just because your not grounding directly to the engine that your not adding more capacity with the extra wire. Adding the jumper wire will exceed the ground current capacity that you might get if you changed your existing single ground wire to a 2 gage ground wire.

I have included some pictures of what I did to achieve this on my rocket. My wire jumper is crimped, soldered, covered with heat shrink tubing and the terminal were oriented for easy installation. I never do just crimped connections! I removed any paint from my ground point and use toothed/star washers and dielectric grease to maintain the integrity of the connections. I replaced the chassis mounting screw with a longer length so I could add a bracket on the opposite end under the left side cover for mounting a 30 amp toggle switch should I ever need to bypass a bad ignition switch. I have already made a fused harness that simply plugs into the fuse box. The terminals from my harness simply plug into the switch for turning my ignition on and off with easy access. I have shown the switch attached to the bracket and the extra wire showing next to it is a ground connection for the switch as the tip is illuminated with an LED. My switch will not be installed, unless I need it, as there is no point in exposing it to the weather until needed....if ever.

FYI......I just installed the Eastern Beaver Relay Kit this past weekend, but I have a word of advice for anyone ordering the kit. The stock H4 light socket on my rocket has the terminals exposed on the back side of the socket. My advice would be to order one of the H4 sockets from Easter Beaver that has a closed back that covers the plug terminals. You don't want to have any exposed connections floating around inside your headlight shell no matter how remote the chance is they will short out. Electrical tape is not an option for me so I'm changing my plug to the closed back style as soon as the parts arrives.

Please Note: DEcosse has made some interesting points later in this thread about adding this connection and I have also made some additional comments to his post as well. Read it all over and make an informed decision should you decide to add the wire. Things are never simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
By the way...I based my overall amperage carrying capacity on this chart representing a 12 volt system. As you can see.... a 6 gage wire can support up to 70 amps with 3% loss over a distance of 0 to 6 ft. Adding this to the existing ground wire capacity, it should give you the amp carrying capacity of a number 2 gage ground cable. NOTE: Even if the stock ground wire was as small as a 6 gage wire this would still be the case. I suspect it is a 4 gage, but I don't know for sure.

image.jpg

My http://pdm60.com actually came with an extra ground cable (that's supposed to go from the battery to the chassis) just to guarantee there was enough capacity there to pump up to an extra 60 amps through there. It's going on any day now once I get my bike lift.

As for the Eastern Beaver kit install, personally I'm only going to test it with the H4 coupler that it came with. Once I know it works as it should (it almost certainly will, I'm just paranoid) i'm going to cut the wiring and finish it up with Posi-loks and then cover the tightened Posi-loks with shrink tubing to make it "permanent". Electrical tape sucks, but shrink tubing is awesome. I don't ever foresee a need to remove the relays for the lifetime of the bike; by that standard I should probably solder the cables but Posi-loks are permanent enough.

Last edited:
My http://pdm60.com actually came with an extra ground cable (that's supposed to go from the battery to the chassis) just to guarantee there was enough capacity there to pump up to an extra 60 amps through there. It's going on any day now once I get my bike lift.

As for the Eastern Beaver kit install, personally I'm only going to test it with the H4 coupler that it came with. Once I know it works as it should (it almost certainly will, I'm just paranoid) i'm going to cut the wiring and finish it up with Posi-loks and then cover the tightened Posi-loks with shrink tubing to make it "permanent". Electrical tape sucks, but shrink tubing is the ****. I don't ever foresee a need to remove the relays for the lifetime of the bike; by that standard I should probably solder the cables but Posi-loks are permanent enough.

Sorry I am new to this site. What does the Eastern Beaver kit do? Why is it needed?

Sorry I am new to this site. What does the Eastern Beaver kit do? Why is it needed?

Welcome to the site!

The kit consists of two relays that are connected to the headlight; the existing headlight power cables go into the relays instead and activate them. The relays are then connected to a cable that is connected directly to the battery of the bike (or a fuse box, http://pdm60.com, what have you), thus bypassing all the internal wiring in the bike. This guarantees that you get no voltage drop between the battery and the lights - this can improve brightness considerably if there is a noticeable voltage drop in the stock wiring.

On Rockets, you also offload the keyswitch which has a tendency to heat up and overload and cause problems over time because too much current goes through that central point, at least on older non-Touring models, not sure how it is on the R3T. I'm just replacing mine just because it's elegant and a fun project.

It's a cheap way to kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
i like your idea of the extra wire (have mine just need to find the time)but because we are adding the extra wire for starting purpose why not take to the engine near the starter?

@Bedifferent , did the EB kit give you anymore brightness on the headlights that you could tell?

bob

Yes Bob R...I actually believe it did. I can only judge based on the light shining inside at the front of my cargo trailer, but it appeared whiter and less muted or yellow. Typically you suffer a 1 to 2 volt drop in voltage when running through the bikes switch. I installed the EB relay setup just to be on the safe side and take some strain off the ignition switch. It is reasonably priced and the whole concept just seems to make sense from an electrical standpoint.

Last edited:
i like your idea of the extra wire (have mine just need to find the time)but because we are adding the extra wire for starting purpose why not take to the engine near the starter?

Getting the wire closer to the starter is not going to make a difference. The bike chassis is in essence just one big connection. Adding the wire from the battery to the chassis accomplishes more total wire diameter to that big connection. As long as you wire to the frame with a clean connection you have increase the total wire diameter/cross section to the system. Is does make sense to wire the first and primary connection to the engine block just like they do with a car, but other additional connections could be just as effective wired to the bike frame.

Last edited:

As for the Eastern Beaver kit install, personally I'm only going to test it with the H4 coupler that it came with. Once I know it works as it should (it almost certainly will, I'm just paranoid) i'm going to cut the wiring and finish it up with Posi-loks and then cover the tightened Posi-loks with shrink tubing to make it "permanent". Electrical tape sucks, but shrink tubing is awesome. I don't ever foresee a need to remove the relays for the lifetime of the bike; by that standard I should probably solder the cables but Posi-loks are permanent enough.

Croft...It's good to see someone else is as fussy about doing things right as much as I am. I considered hard wiring the Easter Beaver as well, but decided if I ever had a problem it would be easier to unplug the EB and put my headlight back on the original harness. With that said.... I was able to find a spare relay and the parts I needed to replace the stock exposed wire headlight plug at.... cycleterminal.com. The shipping was fair and I didn't have to wait 3 weeks for my stuff to arrive from EB located in Japan. Very happy with the EB setup....very well made, except for the rather anemic battery connectors which I replaced. Everything fit ok in the headlight shell in spite of the two triumph wiring harnesses already located there.

The extra large diameter ground wire is a smart move on the part of PDM.

Back