My starter failed me 200 miles from home today

Where is the solenoid? The cycle works guy at th show said he could not find one, but he did jump the started off a battery and it would whine but the bendix would not engage. I am removing it today to see if it can be rebuilt possibly with upgraded parts. My friend who is 6'7" has a stratoliner and it is looking better everyday considering there are three dealers within 45 minutes of my house. My Triumph dealer is 2 hours away.

Dude, don't do it! Remember the reason you came to the light. The grass is only greener on the other side until you hit the throttle. Then you will realize the error of your ways but it will be too late. Keep the faith. Rockets Rule!!!!!! :p

I've ridden with and occasionally on a Stratoliner for over 20K miles.
Every motor has its idiosyncrasies and this Yamaha has plenty of its own.
The Stratoliner/Roadliner is a fine motor - Sadly though, it ain't no Rocket!
Enjoy!

hey guys I have a 2008 and been great but rode yesterday then hoped on the bike today rode ten minutes to store came out and nothing we had jump pack on battery and then jumped the starter it then fired up. turn key on and lights good it does it sweep but just a click sometime after click everything dies. after we got fired up you take the jumper off the battery and it goes stupid and shuts off. battery out being changed and trying to start off jump and it just clicks or roles over very slow? just paid off bike and has 11k mile on bought in 2009 and no issues until today.

Assuming the battery is just old and bad, which definitely sounds likely to me.

Check the battery with a voltmeter, the conventional wisdom is that it should be giving out over 12 volts with the bike off, shouldn't drop under 10 volts when you start it and should show over 14 volts when the bike is running to indicate the bike is charging it.

I'm having a bit of trouble deciphering what you actually connected where, though. Punctuation is a good thing...

There is a known issue with the keyswitch not being able to handle all the electricity flowing through it and then failing eventually, bad design choices by Triumph, which might be something to look at if there's an actual fault.

My 06 standard wouldn't turn over with a battery that read 13.2 volts. It worked fine when I replaced it with a new battery reading 14.+ v. my ignition switch is squirrely also though.

My 06 standard wouldn't turn over with a battery that read 13.2 volts. It worked fine when I replaced it with a new battery reading 14.+ v. my ignition switch is squirrely also though.
I have a bran spankin new switch still in the bag if I can find it.

Back