My starter failed me 200 miles from home today

The starter relay under the right side cover was the issue.

I'm having what sounds to be the same issue here. My problem is I don't have a service manual and don't know which relay belongs to the starter. Unfortunately the owners manual is no help here. Could you advise as to which relay is which? Thanks.

starter relay

starter relay position

Attachments

• starter relay.jpg
    starter relay.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 302
Nevermind, I discovered the answer on a flasher relay thread. :D

Sorry, I just got in from a long ride, glad someone here helped you. I carry tow extra relays all the time now and have not had to use them yet.

Thanks, I rode it for 2 hours last night and the love is back. This was the first time a bike had let me down in 15 years and then it was a Harley which I have never owned since but was considering a road glide.

My solo seat should be here from NCY Friday and my fender bib sometime next week.:D

Unfortunately I don't think motorcycles will ever be as reliable as cars. Not sure why really. Maybe because they are not produced in the numbers cars are, so they can't outfit them with the very best components and still make a profit on them ? I'm going to ride my 05' R3 to Oregon from Michigan this summer. I'm a little concerned about getting stranded. I'm pretty handy at fixing things, but sometimes you need parts which aren't readily available for our bikes. If I have a major breakdown, I will rent a small U-Haul one way, and bring it home for repair. There are definitely more reliable touring bikes out there, but I can't think of any I would rather ride.

Unfortunately I don't think motorcycles will ever be as reliable as cars. Not sure why really. Maybe because they are not produced in the numbers cars are, so they can't outfit them with the very best components and still make a profit on them ? I'm going to ride my 05' R3 to Oregon from Michigan this summer. I'm a little concerned about getting stranded. I'm pretty handy at fixing things, but sometimes you need parts which aren't readily available for our bikes. If I have a major breakdown, I will rent a small U-Haul one way, and bring it home for repair. There are definitely more reliable touring bikes out there, but I can't think of any I would rather ride.

I know what you mean, I rode Goldwing 1500's and Valkyire 1500's and was never stranded, not even once. I would still be riding them if Honda had not trimmed them for smaller shorter riders. I bought a trailer this year for longer rides because as you said these bikes break and dealers are few and far between with no parts inventory.

Thanks for the diagram, that is definitely helpful. And honestly, do you think I am going to fault you for being out on a ride instead of sitting in front of your pc? Riiight! :D

Hey Guy;s, im new on here. i recently purchased an 09 Rocket roadster and whilst in London the other day it just would not start after refueling. the recovery guy stated that there was no live getting to the starter relay??? i'm no mechanic so i was lost straight away. its in the shop as we speak and i went down and spoke to the mechanic who says it must be the starter motor but after reading this thread it sounds like you guy's have had similar problems and solved it. could someone explain the symptoms and what they have done to rectify the problem as i am due to go to Germany next week and dont want to get stranded out there as that is 750 miles from home with ocean between home and germany;)

Hey Guy;s, im new on here. i recently purchased an 09 Rocket roadster and whilst in London the other day it just would not start after refueling. the recovery guy stated that there was no live getting to the starter relay??? i'm no mechanic so i was lost straight away. its in the shop as we speak and i went down and spoke to the mechanic who says it must be the starter motor but after reading this thread it sounds like you guy's have had similar problems and solved it. could someone explain the symptoms and what they have done to rectify the problem as i am due to go to Germany next week and dont want to get stranded out there as that is 750 miles from home with ocean between home and germany;)

Hello Rob. It sounds like the ignition switch has failed. On an 09 Roadster it most likely has not had the relay mod done to it. Very, very unlikely it is the starter.

When you turn the key on, do the headlights come on and/or do the instruments sweep?

Hi Dragger, yes the clocks sweep and the lights come on i think. the recovery guy got it started directly via the starter but i didnt get far as it was dusk and i had no head lights for some reason.

does this sound like the issue you guys are talking about? id like to go back to the dealer and shove my foot up the guy's arse as i deliver the news that i have found the remedy on the internet ;)

Rob

Back