My starter failed me 200 miles from home today

Elvis

Living the Dream!
Ride
2008 R3T
I can't believe my started failed me on a 27 month old bike (warranty would cover it the first 24 moths). This is the first time in 28 years a bike has left me stranded. Now every time I get on it I will wonder if it will get me home.

These things are impossible to push start, had to get a 4-wheeler to get me up to about 25 before she started so I could limp home.

I hate that I just put new Avons and ordered a solo seat, if I hadn't I would consider trading it for a new one that had more accessible parts.

I have had starter problems for the last year. It would click occasionally. I finally took the solenoid off last night and see the problem. It has an actuator that slams a copper disk across two copper plates to make the connection. I can see where all the clicks have left burnt pock marks on the disk in different spots.:mad:

P.S. The last bike to leave me on the side of the road was a Boss Hoss Trike. It was 100 degrees and humid and I had my wife with me. I was 80 miles down the Natchez Trace from the start in Memphis. The motor was a 350 ZZ4. The alternator quit and as soon as the battery drained it started missing and then died. I am sad to say it left my garage within a few weeks. :D

Elvis, sorry to hear about the starter failing. I've heard (and myself have experienced) about the ignition switch but this is the first time I've heard of the starter going.

Thanks for the information about the push start. I didn't realize you had to be above a certain speed to make that work...pushing on my two short legs just wasn't cutting it:D.

Dennis

08 dtg KAF
12 dtg Dubai
13 dtg Home
34 dtg Ray's

This is not the first time I have seen the starter fail. And while this may not benefit you at this time, I am working on sourcing a replacement starter for the R3 - at a MUCH better price than from Triumph. I have a source for Denso units at good prices and better output 1.9hp/1.4KW compared to the stock rated 1.2KW output, and possibly even gear reduction.

I need an old/failed core to work with to ensure the clocking, fitment, and space is correct. I may be required to produce a custom nose to fit the R3 since Triumph is using a different sealing/mounting arrangement than other applications.

If anyone has one laying around, please contact me.

I have had starter problems for the last year. It would click occasionally. I finally took the solenoid off last night and see the problem. It has an actuator that slams a copper disk across two copper plates to make the connection. I can see where all the clicks have left burnt pock marks on the disk in different spots.:mad:

P.S. The last bike to leave me on the side of the road was a Boss Hoss Trike. It was 100 degrees and humid and I had my wife with me. I was 80 miles down the Natchez Trace from the start in Memphis. The motor was a 350 ZZ4. The alternator quit and as soon as the battery drained it started missing and then died. I am sad to say it left my garage within a few weeks. :D

Where is the solenoid? The cycle works guy at th show said he could not find one, but he did jump the started off a battery and it would whine but the bendix would not engage. I am removing it today to see if it can be rebuilt possibly with upgraded parts. My friend who is 6'7" has a stratoliner and it is looking better everyday considering there are three dealers within 45 minutes of my house. My Triumph dealer is 2 hours away.

if u havent already u may check with triumph and they might replace it under a warranty dont know till u ask just my 2 cents

Scott in Exile,

Did you go through your dealer or did you call Peter in customer service at Atlanta, I took it off this afternoon and was going to to take it a starter/alternator guy here in town to see if he could repair.

Back