My starter failed me 200 miles from home today

The starter is very accessible on the Rocket, my ignition switch was 36months(3 years) out of warranty and Triumph gave me the new parts no problem- BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK.

Hey Scot,

Was that the ignition switch we "Frankensteined" with my soldering iron in Maggie Valley?
:D

Good to know they replaced it for you.

Gene

I called my local dealer(D&D in Pensacola FL) and he in return called Triumph, I had to install the parts my self which was not a big job.

I called Peter at Triumph in Noonan to see what his opinion is, had to leave a voice mail. In the meantime I took the starter to a starter shop that has experience with the Denso starters to see what their opinion was.

Hopefully I will have good or bad news soon.

My local Napa guy says he can cross out Denso starters, has anyone tried this?

Elvis,
The Denso starter used is built for Triumph. It is a fairly common unit with a special nose to center, seal, and clock the starter in the R3 engine.

You can have them rebuilt and improved by most shops - they should be able to up the output from 1.2kw to 1.4kw. Or take the nose off the R3 unit and placed on another starter. Just make sure you are not starting with the low output copies some try pass off as Denso units.

Elvis,
The Denso starter used is built for Triumph. It is a fairly common unit with a special nose to center, seal, and clock the starter in the R3 engine.

You can have them rebuilt and improved by most shops - they should be able to up the output from 1.2kw to 1.4kw. Or take the nose off the R3 unit and placed on another starter. Just make sure you are not starting with the low output copies some try pass off as Denso units.

thanks, I will call the guy right now!

I just picked it up and the starter man says it is fine:eek:

He benched tested right in front of me. So now I am really stumped. I am going to put it back on, if it starts how can you trust it ever again?

What were the symptoms? Was there just no response at all when you pressed the starter button? If so, could it be something as simple as the kickstand lockout switch?

He benched tested right in front of me. So now I am really stumped. I am going to put it back on, if it starts how can you trust it ever again?

Check your battery voltage, and all connections from battery to starter. Also, there can be an issue with the starter under load that will not show up spinning it freely on the bench.

The starter relay under the right side cover was the issue. When I hit the start button I would hear a clicking, well instead of the starter it was the relay-$12.00 fixed it but my ECM light was still on, guess what, another relay and that one was fixed as well. I now have two spares in my bags so I never get stranded for $12 again.

I was so irratated Saturday, most of it was having to push the heavy beast in front of 5000 harley guys, oh well live and learn. I came close to being stratoliner owner over this, hopefully this will not happen again.:D

As I was reading this I was thinking starter relay. Glad to see you got it fixed.

As I was reading this I was thinking starter relay. Glad to see you got it fixed.

Thanks, I rode it for 2 hours last night and the love is back. This was the first time a bike had let me down in 15 years and then it was a Harley which I have never owned since but was considering a road glide.

My solo seat should be here from NCY Friday and my fender bib sometime next week.:D

Back