Would like to "freshen" my 1-owner, 1984 Honda CB-125S

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
I know there are some real craftsmen here.

I have the subject bike, purchased new in 1984 as I had just entered active duty in the Air Force.

Sadly, I had nowhere to store it, and wasn't smart enough to put it under cover, and it sat outside through eight Boston seasons.

The seat was destroyed, and I had that recovered.

The bike has held up remarkably well, still runs fine - kick start - manual choke.

@DEcosse has been supporting my getting working turn signals, since those parts are NLA.

Some painted metal parts have picked up some rust, and I'd really like to get the bike looking decent again.

I have an original paper shop manual.

Pointers welcome.

That bike is worthy of a freshening, I thought it was cool when I first saw yours.

I am about to learn all sort about this topic as I have acquired a lot of new tools to begin restoration of my '81 Yamaha XS650. It is in horrible condition compared to your CB-125. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the topic and you can find a plethora of them.

I look forward to hearing of your success.

That bike is worthy of a freshening, I thought it was cool when I first saw yours.

I am about to learn all sort about this topic as I have acquired a lot of new tools to begin restoration of my '81 Yamaha XS650. It is in horrible condition compared to your CB-125. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the topic and you can find a plethora of them.

I look forward to hearing of your success.
I always start with buying the workshop manual, a few tubs for spare parts and lots of pics to help with reassembly.
Forums are my next source. I think there is a forum for almost every motorcycle ever made.
Not sure about spares availability for your bike but I’m sure there is a guy somewhere who’s been collecting them.

I always start with buying the workshop manual, a few tubs for spare parts and lots of pics to help with reassembly.
Forums are my next source. I think there is a forum for almost every motorcycle ever made.
Not sure about spares availability for your bike but I’m sure there is a guy somewhere who’s been collecting them.
Hello Jason, You are spot on, especially for my bike and I'm sure for the CB-125 as well.

I do have a new manual for mine and have been on the XS650 forum for almost two years now. I have acquired several parts I know must be replaced and know of many more to get.

I won't start any serious work until I have enough knowledge and tools to begin properly. I am about to place a water proof ceiling under my deck so I have a place to work on it. Just power washed the deck and will re-seal it first. No having a garage or proper area is tough, so I improvise and attack from a new direction. Just takes time and money... And lots of pictures to remember where everything goes...

Back on the road...waiting for parts to arrive but these are just for looks.
B1D05156-5C11-4DC9-9CB0-E70D70ADD4FA.jpeg
1A5C0DB9-2F3E-4601-BC4B-11062839D4FA.jpeg
660B8032-54F7-46E5-9BD7-317A1FED6616.jpeg

In a similar situation @Joesmoe , I've been working on my daughter's '86 125S. I got it running once before but her SO didn't drain the tank or even turn the gas off before letting it sit for a few years and now I can't get the carburetor clean enough to get it running again. The bike is otherwise in excellent condition, like a little time capsule.

and more pictures, with captions. Not just "front axle" but "front axle - rt side to camera" .
Also a notebook to keep track of what you are doing, measurements, parts replaced, needed etc.
We've never met and yet I feel you know my every weakness when it comes to this.
I had not thought of the notebook but I like that idea.

Ziplock bags, sharpie marker, notes in bags are your friend also. Try to include only one sub-assembly per ziplock

Gallon freezer bags work best. You never know when life interrupts your project. After a year or two, sometimes the bags and notes become the memory. They don’t suffer from CRS.

Back