Where Should the Expansion Tank Go?

The vacuum created by the radiator keeps the bottle from overflowing. The small amount in the tubing is not enough to cause an overflow when you open the rad cap. Remember, when the rad cools after shut down, it sucks fluid back through the hose into the rad as long as you don't have any bubbles in the hose.

I've had my chrome recovery bottle mounted to the crash bars. When installing, hook up the hoses and raise the bottle above the rad to remove all air from the line. I use clear tubing so that I can see. Once the line is bubble-free, I lower the can and attach it to the crash bar. If all the hoses are tight, it maintains a solid block of fluid.

I think I remember you posting about this before; about the difficulty of reestablishing the suction in the line due to air bubbles. I have to tell you; I haven't really had the issue. When I connected my hose from the radiator to the bottom of the recovery bottle in the airbox; I made sure that both the recovery bottle and radiator were full. Then started the bike and when she got warm; she dutifully spit into the recovery bottle; which was evidenced by other overflow coming out of the top hose on the recovery bottle. She then spittles a little bit for the next couple of startups/shutdowns and ceases to spit after that.

When I recently checked my radiator (while the bike was cold) the radiator was full; I also checked for coolant in the recovery bottle... it was a third full as well. This tells me that she "self bled" any air bubbles from the line. I think you may be "overthinking" the need to purge these air bubbles IMHO....

I I think you may be "overthinking" the need to purge these air bubbles IMHO....
Will - I'd rather not find out how hot it all is should an un-purged bubble decides to expand excessively.

I had an experience on my LandRover where a bubble lurked undetected and then decided it had had enough. The resulting superheated steam jet made a real mess and holed stuff all around it.

Now I'd rather that was not anywhere near my legs, bum or balls when it goes off. It would go straight through jeans and even leather chaps. The plastic seat base (being double skinned with the inlet snorkel) might delay it a bit - but I'd rather not discover how much.

My expansion tank is staying where it is - which is where it came fitted - which is where the factory fitted it.

It's much like bleeding brakes. There's acceptable and correct.

I think I remember you posting about this before; about the difficulty of reestablishing the suction in the line due to air bubbles. I have to tell you; I haven't really had the issue. When I connected my hose from the radiator to the bottom of the recovery bottle in the airbox; I made sure that both the recovery bottle and radiator were full. Then started the bike and when she got warm; she dutifully spit into the recovery bottle; which was evidenced by other overflow coming out of the top hose on the recovery bottle. She then spittles a little bit for the next couple of startups/shutdowns and ceases to spit after that.

When I recently checked my radiator (while the bike was cold) the radiator was full; I also checked for coolant in the recovery bottle... it was a third full as well. This tells me that she "self bled" any air bubbles from the line. I think you may be "overthinking" the need to purge these air bubbles IMHO....

Nah, Will. I don't disagree with you a bit. The self-bled method will work, too. I just bypassed that step because I didn't want any coolant dripping on my garage floor where my cats could get to it.

Will - I'd rather not find out how hot it all is should an un-purged bubble decides to expand excessively.

I had an experience on my LandRover where a bubble lurked undetected and then decided it had had enough. The resulting superheated steam jet made a real mess and holed stuff all around it.

Now I'd rather that was not anywhere near my legs, bum or balls when it goes off. It would go straight through jeans and even leather chaps. The plastic seat base (being double skinned with the inlet snorkel) might delay it a bit - but I'd rather not discover how much.

My expansion tank is staying where it is - which is where it came fitted - which is where the factory fitted it.

It's much like bleeding brakes. There's acceptable and correct.

Isn't there a bleed screw somewhere on the engine block, that would accomplish this (the removal of air from the system)?

Ya... old thread resurrected.

I have been wanting to get rid of my coolant overflow in my vacated air box; and put it closer to the radiator with another type bottle as well. Only because it's easier to check. It's a huge pain in the ass to have to pull it out of the airbox that is sharing with my Lithium battery; to drain and inspect it.

This is where mine is currently at (...before I paralleled the Lithium battery to my AGM battery) :

Back