What made you buy her?

Didnt hear about the oil leak problem!! Was it engine oil or gear oil?? Where was it leaking from.?
There are a number of 2020 Rocket owners experiencing this problem, some of them on this forum. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find it.
It's an engine oil leak that manifests on the left side below the air intake and toward the front. I'll try to find a picture that locates the leak. I have no idea what percentage of the bikes suffer from this leak, but it definitely is a "thing".

Didnt hear about the oil leak problem!! Was it engine oil or gear oil?? Where was it leaking from.?
20200227_171448.jpg
20200227_171519 (1).jpg

These pics point to a bolt. At least one forum member over-torqued this bolt and it solved his leak. My dealer said the origin of my leak was NOT the bolt. Per instructions from Triumph, my dealer removed my engine, took off the engine case cover and sent it to Tennessee to get some treatment that they would not even describe to my dealer. Just got the bike back and the jury is still out on whether or not the leak is fixed.

There are a number of 2020 Rocket owners experiencing this problem, some of them on this forum. If you do a search, I'm sure you will find it.
It's an engine oil leak that manifests on the left side below the air intake and toward the front. I'll try to find a picture that locates the leak. I have no idea what percentage of the bikes suffer from this leak, but it definitely is a "thing".
Because the 2020 Rocket has a dry sump engine oiling system, over filling them will cause the internal engine pressure to cause any excess oil normally stored in the
oil reservoir to dump into the PVC system that feeds directly into the air box. That will cause a constant drip, drip, drip of engine oil that would exit right about where
that bolt is. I have a 2015 C-7 Z-51 Corvette with a dry sump oiling system.. If the engine gets even a half quart too much oil in it, it will puke it out
directly into the air filter box. Dry sump engines are notoriously hard to test oil level with the dipstick unless the procedure is done exactly as the owners manual says.
Dry sump engines are usually reserved for racing applications to keep the engine from whipping up the oil during hard cornering and acceleration. It keeps the crankshaft
from frothing the oil to keep it a liquid instead of a foam. Many a Corvette was taken back to their dealer for repair until the cause was discovered.

Because the 2020 Rocket has a dry sump engine oiling system, over filling them will cause the internal engine pressure to cause any excess oil normally stored in the
oil reservoir to dump into the PVC system that feeds directly into the air box. That will cause a constant drip, drip, drip of engine oil that would exit right about where
that bolt is. I have a 2015 C-7 Z-51 Corvette with a dry sump oiling system.. If the engine gets even a half quart too much oil in it, it will puke it out
directly into the air filter box. Dry sump engines are notoriously hard to test oil level with the dipstick unless the procedure is done exactly as the owners manual says.
Dry sump engines are usually reserved for racing applications to keep the engine from whipping up the oil during hard cornering and acceleration. It keeps the crankshaft
from frothing the oil to keep it a liquid instead of a foam. Many a Corvette was taken back to their dealer for repair until the cause was discovered.
Appreciate the education!!
-MIG

I wil told you why I am not buying a 2.5L ! I bought my first Rocket in 2005 . I am at my 3th rocket , the actuel is a 2011 Roadster ,
I have more than 200 000 Km with all , the 2020 versions are all but for single . How do you take wife and luggages
on the 2020 models ? I made myself my mechanics with Tune Ecu , that is impossible with the new ones ( ECU locked ) .
Why Triumph have put max torque at 4000 rounds/minutes . And performances are quite the same that old tuned models .
I am not Rockfeller so why to put 24000 euros for a bike who is less compliant with my needs ?

Came from an FZ1 to a Thunderbird Storm, had been browsing online at R3's went to a local dealer one Arvo there was a silver 2005 sitting in the lot. the dealer came up to me and said you want to take for a ride "of course". So jumped on and took it for a quick squirt. smile on face getting bigger with every twist of the throttle. In my head whilst riding i'm saying to myself gotta get one of these. Ended up with a 2006 classic still the smile gets bigger every time i twist the throttle, plus the bike has a gravitas to it that no other bike has..

Last edited:
I spent many years getting a restoration/rebuild on a T140 (1978) that just about tapped me out of patience and frustration, yet when I finally got it together in October of 2019 I was and still am very happy. I rode dirtbikes and other streetbikes in my younger days, put it all down for a while and then started this journey in 2013 with the bonneville project. Well now in October 2019 I got informed of this new R3 monster, so I watched all the content available, obsessed forever, got the financial plan together and threw down on the 2020 R3GT in February 2020 (just before the covid shutdowns).

I've put on some nice Dave Platte exhaust pipes, also a rear trunk and the saddle bag racks.

My wife was scared of it first off. Now, with the back rest and maybe some smoother riding by yours truly, she loves it. Which I enjoy as well. This thing is great on the boulevard, its great with your Harley buddies, it's great with sportier riders, it's great with muscle bikes, **** it can ride with any kind of bike.

The only part of it that I didn't completely love was the stock exhaust. I've been running the Platte exhaust now for at least a month and it's very satisfying and a beautiful add to the machine.

That's the story so far.... the bike delivers and satisfies, 100%

Awww...comon guys..the answer is so simple.. after owning the 2300CC original RIII 2004 for 16 years I simply said to Pamela "why would I want to own a 2300 cc bike if I can own a 2500 cc bike".. and she had no answer..the logic is impeccable not to mention irrefutable, no? :)

Awww...comon guys..the answer is so simple.. after owning the 2300CC original RIII 2004 for 16 years I simply said to Pamela "why would I want to own a 2300 cc bike if I can own a 2500 cc bike".. and she had no answer..the logic is impeccable not to mention irrefutable, no? :)
It's so very simple you actually nailed it. It's 2500cc.. 150 CI.. But I gotta still say though... for me the monster sized engine is of course the feature piece that gets you looking at the bike, gets everybody looking at the bike... nothing like the conversation where a random guy thinks he's looking at a "big" motor , like some dude will look at it and go "wow, is that like 1500cc??" to which I get to reply no son, this be 2500, and dude will drop his jaw gaping.... But all that aside, still to be considering dropping the $22,600 plus blah blah out the door... to me the Bike HAD to be good on all fronts, it had to be beautiful and comfortable , it had to have all that braking power, suspension, handling, ergonomics.. had to have a path for me to double Wifey on the back comfortably. I wouldn't have gone for it if it didn't have the full package. Being that they nailed it on all fronts they really forced me hand, put me in a position where I was compelled to go for it. Kind of unfair when you really think about it, they made the package too good. But of course it all starts around the motor. The whole thing is designed around that motor (it's a part of the frame!) so yup, 100% correct, the 2500cc is the simple answer. btw after a few miles in the saddle, and the Givi trunk/backrest all set up, wifey really likes the machine these days as well. She gets better with additional miles and getting her set up my way.

I traded in a 2016 Road Glide Ultra for a 2021 Rocket 3R. I previously purchased 2020 a Kawasaki ZH2 with gobs of power and handling that made the Harley feel sick but it has limited comfort for longer rides. So I was looking to upgrade the Harley to something more powerful and the ST's came out but were very expensive, an ugly gray or black only, and hard to get. I had admired the look of the Rocket since the new version came out in 2020. I wanted Red but they had removed that color from the line up for 2022. When I found a leftover Red leftover 21 at a dealer 3 hours away I jumped on it and haven't looked back. Put a Corbin on it AND an airhawk seat cushion to get the comfort. Also added a full fairing (of sorts) windshield and a top case to hold a few things. Still not as comfortable as the Harley but the performance, handling, and looks make up for it.

Back