What made you buy her?

bootworks

.040 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 TFC
I know you get it. You wouldn't be in this asylum with us, your fellow inmates, if you didn't. Only dogs riding cages with their heads out the window understand, kindred spirits.

But you have choices. It's the Golden Age of ICE motorcycling, before the TRON machines evolve and we're forced to surrender our sinful and illogical ways in exchange for an orderly and soul-less existence.

Why this choice? Triumph's R3 has presence, personality, combines raw muscle with a British elegance and refinement. Not a Cooper. More as a Bentley.

I'd like to hear your story. What made you choose this motorcycle, what pushed you over the edge. Has it delivered as you expected?

As a start, allow me to paint a picture. I live in North America (Canada). We typically buy motorcycles as a hobby or recreational sport, not as a daily driver or commuter vehicle as many do in Europe. Most of us get eight reasonable months of riding, some get more, some get less. It is from that perspective I answer the question, "What made me buy my current R3GT?".

Brand loyalty is definitely in there. From my perspective it would be tough to leave the current title holder for something that is just "run of the mill" but I have that luxury, others may not (either physically, financially, maturity). The new R3GT is an improvement and a serious one at that. Better handling, smoother ride, refined power; it's bigger, badder, fresher appeal that sets apart from the mainstream in a very big way.

I got into motorcycling because I wanted to be different, stand apart and experience life outside of the norm. If I wanted to conform to the "standard" I would have bought a Harley, all their swag, and all that is to be HOG owner. I bought into Triumph for my own reasons as partially outlined above, some may share my views, others may not. Be that as it may, "to each their own".

While Triumph did a remarkable job selling the R3GT/R/TFC to motorcycling journalists (vis a vis a paid excursion to Tenerife) they (IMHO) did not do a lot to advertise or broadcast it's arrival with the motorcycling general public or community at large. They did have the travelling road show but that was primarily targeting current Triumph owners, the 2020 R3TFC/R/GT was nowhere to be found at many of the North American motorcycle shows from December onwards. With my new 2020 R3GT, most of the comments received are from people who already knew about the 2300CC Rocket III previously.

I guess while I am poo-pooing on Triumph, their brand management is not nearly strong enough. There isn't a single dedicated piece of wearable gear for the new R3GT/R. No shirts, no hats, no swag. I'm not in favour of being a walking billboard for my brand but at the same time would like to show some pride in my ride. I get that modesty is a virtue but not in the game that is motorcycling. You need to be loud and proud, and to coin a British team, a little cheeky!

Well, I was younger and lonely and had an extra $50 bucks and she was amiably, so... Oh wait, you meant the Rocket?

To answer your last question first, has it delivered up to my expectations? Well I am still on my test ride phase with only 75K miles so far. But I think I am being to warm up to it. It being Brahma and I usually consider him more of a wild beast that has come to an understanding with me to form a symbiotic relationship.

My story began in Aug 2011 when I hit Bambi on my 2002 FZ1. Bike was totaled. Due to low disposable funds, I didn't get another bike till Oct 2013. The Credit Union said I needed a new bike and gave me a fat check and two months to find it. Six weeks later and 10 test rides, I choice the R3T because: 1. It was top of my personal test list. 2. It met all my requirements for a daily rider, cross country trekker and two-up weekend vacation machine. 3. The Harley dealer said he didn't nee any more customers.

Brahma is #28 on the list of my machines. Since then, I have been given a '81 XS650 project and a 2006 Stratoliner. I am not sure when I will lose the riding bug, I've had it over 40 years now...

Was looking for a new bike in 2015. Bored with the Harley Fatboy and over my mid life crisis. Searching on the net ran across an ad for what they called a ROCKET X. Kind of caught me by surprise. Watched it sober and drunk did not matter still got a tear in the eye. After finishing the Kitchen wife grand kid and i headed for Dallas. Already had bought the bike prior to heading south. Rode her home and never looked back. IMG_0958.JPG And i do mean never looked back.

Passing by the "how I became a motorcycle rider story"; I got legal in 2008 when my wife took me shopping for my "Empty Nest present". I've always looked towards what's different and not run-of-the mill (which is why my classic dream muscle car is my 1970 Buick). Though I prefer to avoid the spotlight, I like to find what's different and unique. Fast forward and my wife starts telling me how she thinks I would like the R3; as it caught her eye. But I wasn't ready. The bike looked intimidating and more than I was ready to handle. Then in 2014, after many conversations, I said fine... let me take one for a test ride. Now I learned later our local dealer RARELY allowed test rides (which I found strange) as many folks just wanted a joy ride to say they rode a Rocket. In fact, the one on the sales floor had just had the oil put in it with 4 miles on the odometer. Also, only the manager could approve a test ride. As he handed me the keys (without reservation I may add) he only asked that I not put too many miles on her otherwise folks will view her as "used". When I got back from my inaugural journey, my wife (who couldn't see my new perma-grin due to the full faced helmet) states; "Now, if you don't like it say so... don't ride her just for me." She's the ride I have today (both of them ;) ) and the rest is history...

I'm not going to lie though; I love the brand, I love the styling (love love the Bonneville too) and I love that not everyone has one... but I was concerned about reliability. My America had MAJOR transmission problems (twice!) that in the end couldn't be fixed "by the book" and had to be adjusted "by feel" and my first-year-production 2010 Thunderbird had every problem of a new production model. That said, Fiona has been reliable and a dream to ride (less the initial heated grip problem). Admittedly, she's only got 20K+ miles; however, that's only because of multiple long TDY's (Temporary Duty) and two one-year deployments. When I can; she's my daily ride to work.

Fiona is my "Forever Ride", and she's treated as such...
-MIG

I’m interested in people who bought a 2020 R3 who had owned Rocket(s) before and those who didn’t own the old Rocket(s). I had 2 of the old Rockets, test drove the 2020 R and GT, but didn’t buy one.

I didn't own a rocket before, but had one on my bucket list. When the new one came out it happily coincided with me being able, just, to afford it. The new one I bought because, apart from the presence, engine and torque figures, it just looked the puppy's parts to me. It is rare now when I park it during a spin that at least one person doesn't come up to me to comment on it.

I didn't own a rocket before, but had one on my bucket list. When the new one came out it happily coincided with me being able, just, to afford it. The new one I bought because, apart from the presence, engine and torque figures, it just looked the puppy's parts to me. It is rare now when I park it during a spin that at least one person doesn't come up to me to comment on it.
Get a ride on an old Rocket and you’ll see what an improvement the new model is.

So I've loved motorcycles since a kid always been on one of one kind or another I started with the rice and loved the PULL but as I got a bit older wasnt the best for anything over an hour. So I moved into a cruiser loved the comfort and the v twin noise hehe. But missed the thrill factor of a sport bike. There's gotta be a middle ground out there and I found it problem being rockets aren't cheap so I watched for a while..... Then...... my wife said I want a German Shepard puppy 🐶 holy hell they dont give those away. So fine you get a puppy i get a new bike lol. It actually worked! Now I have the best of both worlds i love the performance and it surprised me how comfy it is. Expectations exceeded. Why my R3R? That ass. **** she's gotta nice rear end..

Back