PHATDAD

.060 Over
Now that I have added 13 inch apehangers to my Rocket the understeer is far more noticeable.There is a lot of pull on the high side handlebar. How can I reduce the problem?
I also wonder what will happen when and if I go to the darkside? Will a different profile help?
By the way, the 13" apes are like touring bars on a hog. They are still several inches below shoulder height. The set up is far more comfortable for a tall rider.

You say the 13" ape-hangers are like those on a touring hog. Bars on a RIII Classic are just over 38". What is the outside width of the apes? Several have stated that a dark-side conversion requires greater counter-steering, at least more noticed initially, you might reconsider.

I wonder if the longer bars act more like a lever -- amplifying the understeer and requiring greater input from the rider on the other end?

I wonder if the longer bars act more like a lever -- amplifying the understeer and requiring greater input from the rider on the other end?
It's definetly amplified, the longer the lever the more distance traveled at the end farthest from the fulcrum I expect. I am wondering what would happen if I lowered the back end?

Longer levers means less work. The difference in height will influence the amount of work necessary however still greater width will compensate to some degree.

Last edited:
corect....if your apehangers had a wider profile you would be closer to stock feal. but its the fact they are higher and you as a rider dont have the leverage to work it as easy

corect....if your apehangers had a wider profile you would be closer to stock feal. but its the fact they are higher and you as a rider dont have the leverage to work it as easy

Bingo! I think it is a function of the width of the bars and not the height. Narrower bars would give you less leverage and the force to turn the bike would feel higher.
Gary

Apehangers (nothing extreme, though) on my Harleys did not lead to understeer. They simply required a lot more steering effort on my part:D.

Geeze Jamie:

I have pictured a skinny little bushy haired guy with his arms reaching for the grips....almost too far above his head..........

Are there large bugs in Switzerland. You know, the kind that infest armpits of those who ride with their arms in a vertical plane....?:eek:

Back