To ATGATT or not to ATGATT - and to what extent

I'm a tad concerned about my trip. It's going to be in the 100's in all three states. When I go through Redding it will be 111 degrees. Even Oregon is going to be 100. WTF?? I may have to change plans here and try to figure something else out. I'm not 22 anymore and the heat will fry my man berries for certain. Anything around 100 it's like riding into a furnace or hair dryer at 80 mph. I'm really kind of pissed about it. I can't imagine doing it for 450 miles and then 250 miles and then 500 miles all in 4 days. Why me and why now?

I'm a tad concerned about my trip. It's going to be in the 100's in all three states. When I go through Redding it will be 111 degrees. Even Oregon is going to be 100. WTF?? I may have to change plans here and try to figure something else out. I'm not 22 anymore and the heat will fry my man berries for certain. Anything around 100 it's like riding into a furnace or hair dryer at 80 mph. I'm really kind of pissed about it. I can't imagine doing it for 450 miles and then 250 miles and then 500 miles all in 4 days. Why me and why now?
We'll see how my trip goes. I'll be headed from Miami to Tucson via Dallas (two day stop to see some grandkids) at the end of Sep. 700 miles a day for 3 days then a few hundred on the final. Goal will be to start in the early A.M. and be parked by mid-afternoon.
-MIG

We'll see how my trip goes. I'll be headed from Miami to Tucson via Dallas (two day stop to see some grandkids) at the end of Sep. 700 miles a day for 3 days then a few hundred on the final. Goal will be to start in the early A.M. and be parked by mid-afternoon.
-MIG
Leave right as the drunks get home and start out around 3 or 4 AM. 700 a day is too much for me as my limit is 465. My back and neck told me in no uncertain terms I was done. I admire anyone who can stay in the saddle that long. If the weather is hot you may have to alter your plans. Mine appears to be during the west coasts record breaking heat spell. We will see.

When we were racing in the World Challenge series we used Cool Shirt systems in our car. I once adapted one of these for use on my R1200GS. Not really practical as you need to haul a good sized cooler around and wire the pump into the bike. And of course you are tethered to the bike. In case of an unplanned dismount the quick connect fittings would of course uncouple. But, it made riding in over 100 degree days completely doable. The chilled water circulates for several hours as the ice melts. Refilling the cooler at a gas stop is easy and fairly quick. I had a set of Jesse bags and top box on the GS so placing the cooler in the top box left plenty of storage space.

Leave right as the drunks get home and start out around 3 or 4 AM. 700 a day is too much for me as my limit is 465. My back and neck told me in no uncertain terms I was done. I admire anyone who can stay in the saddle that long. If the weather is hot you may have to alter your plans. Mine appears to be during the west coasts record breaking heat spell. We will see.
I'll admit, it's been a few years since I've had the opportunity to do that kind of mileage. Like any good plan, after first contact with the enemy I may have to readjust. I may be adding a BrakeAway brand mechanical cruise or at least replace my Go-Cruise to save my right hand. Fortunately, with my riders backrest and floor boards I find the sitting position very comfortable. Unfortunately, I'm on a time schedule with set leave days from work and a flight to catch back to Miami. I'll be leaving Fiona with my in-laws as we prepare to move back to Las Vegas this fall.
-MIG

-MIG

If u have the time we could have a cup of coffee/something

Back