Good evening folks, I haven’t had mine stall coming to a stop yet. But have noticed that after riding for awhile it will stall starting from a stop. Never once have I stalled the bike starting out on a ride, but generally after an hour or so of riding back roads and light city traffic it will stall pulling away from a stop.. Stalled 3 times (yesterday) trying to pull away from a red light…. And several more times at various other intersections. It’s as if the clutch engages more suddenly than it did in the beginning of the ride or maybe heat soak is reducing power dramatically (pulling timing)…. I generally try and not slide the clutch much, I’ll engage it between idle and maybe 2k rpm’s when staring in flat areas…Stalls only happen when its been at running temperature for a long while…. Hate to think I need to raise rpm’s to 3-4K to pull away from a stop…. Didn’t have to do that on my childhood 125cc two cycle… I’ve got around 450 miles on the bike so far, so will bring it up to the dealer when we do the 1st 500 mile oil change… To be candid, I feel safer on my buddies Tiger 800… At least with that I don’t have to worry about it stalling out pulling away from intersections… Yesterday's experience has me a bit depressed, and not trusting the bike right now.. As a side note, I’m very familiar with clutches… Put 200k miles on a cars clutch once…. Anyone else having issues with stalling pulling away from intersections? Really love the bike, just not the stalling…. Too much displacement to have issues with takeoffs…

Good evening folks, I haven’t had mine stall coming to a stop yet. But have noticed that after riding for awhile it will stall starting from a stop. Never once have I stalled the bike starting out on a ride, but generally after an hour or so of riding back roads and light city traffic it will stall pulling away from a stop.. Stalled 3 times (yesterday) trying to pull away from a red light…. And several more times at various other intersections. It’s as if the clutch engages more suddenly than it did in the beginning of the ride or maybe heat soak is reducing power dramatically (pulling timing)…. I generally try and not slide the clutch much, I’ll engage it between idle and maybe 2k rpm’s when staring in flat areas…Stalls only happen when its been at running temperature for a long while…. Hate to think I need to raise rpm’s to 3-4K to pull away from a stop…. Didn’t have to do that on my childhood 125cc two cycle… I’ve got around 450 miles on the bike so far, so will bring it up to the dealer when we do the 1st 500 mile oil change… To be candid, I feel safer on my buddies Tiger 800… At least with that I don’t have to worry about it stalling out pulling away from intersections… Yesterday's experience has me a bit depressed, and not trusting the bike right now.. As a side note, I’m very familiar with clutches… Put 200k miles on a cars clutch once…. Anyone else having issues with stalling pulling away from intersections? Really love the bike, just not the stalling…. Too much displacement to have issues with takeoffs…
Sorry to hear. There are many of us now stalling. With your experience and others I have a theory it is clutch related. We all have in common using the clutch at the time of stall.
Mine never stalled until engine light went on, p0704, clutch switch malfunction. Others may not trigger error code but might be related.
Switch will be replaced the 23rd. Will see. Good luck.

Sorry to hear. There are many of us now stalling. With your experience and others I have a theory it is clutch related. We all have in common using the clutch at the time of stall.
Mine never stalled until engine light went on, p0704, clutch switch malfunction. Others may not trigger error code but might be related.
Switch will be replaced the 23rd. Will see. Good luck.

Maurice, I think you are onto something... As a side note, I've noticed that when the bike was new, engaging 1st from neutral while standing still was smooth (you could only hear and feel a tick engaging)... Today it generally bangs into gear... I'm wondering if the clutch is in a bind and having a hard time engaging and disengaging from the flywheel? Would explain the engine stalling while slowing down... I can recall our Dodge Challenger had that problem which resulted in grinding gears when clutch was depressed going into 1st through 3rd... The eventual fix was adding tolerance between the rotating assembly and input shaft, fixed the grinding gears... Apparently the tolerances were too tight... Furthermore, the rear LSD (limited slip differential) was very clunky while driving at low speeds. Fix was adding a friction modifier to (the differential box) allowing the clutch packs to engage and disengage more smoothly (less chatttery)... Is it possible that as our oil heats up, coefficient of friction for the oil doesn’t play well with our clutch material? Chemists design the oil to become more viscous as its heated. Generally this is achieved by making the molecule longer as it heats up… This longer molecule is more resistant to movement (aka higher viscosity) because it doesn’t slide against other molecules like itself as easily... The trick is, keeping the rheologic behavior (flowability) consistent...Assuming that the clutch material is created with a specific coefficient of friction while in a bath of oil, perhaps the oil or friction material are incompatible at operating temperatures.. Maybe this only affects those of us that have a combination of oil or friction material that isn’t center of their respective specs.

Maurice, I think you are onto something... As a side note, I've noticed that when the bike was new, engaging 1st from neutral while standing still was smooth (you could only hear and feel a tick engaging)... Today it generally bangs into gear... I'm wondering if the clutch is in a bind and having a hard time engaging and disengaging from the flywheel? Would explain the engine stalling while slowing down... I can recall our Dodge Challenger had that problem which resulted in grinding gears when clutch was depressed going into 1st through 3rd... The eventual fix was adding tolerance between the rotating assembly and input shaft, fixed the grinding gears... Apparently the tolerances were too tight... Furthermore, the rear LSD (limited slip differential) was very clunky while driving at low speeds. Fix was adding a friction modifier to (the differential box) allowing the clutch packs to engage and disengage more smoothly (less chatttery)... Is it possible that as our oil heats up, coefficient of friction for the oil doesn’t play well with our clutch material? Chemists design the oil to become more viscous as its heated. Generally this is achieved by making the molecule longer as it heats up… This longer molecule is more resistant to movement (aka higher viscosity) because it doesn’t slide against other molecules like itself as easily... The trick is, keeping the rheologic behavior (flowability) consistent...Assuming that the clutch material is created with a specific coefficient of friction while in a bath of oil, perhaps the oil or friction material are incompatible at operating temperatures.. Maybe this only affects those of us that have a combination of oil or friction material that isn’t center of their respective specs.
Would need to verify with others stall occurs after bike warmed up. Don't think mine stalled cold.
I Sent an email to Triumph Corporation advising of the problem. Emphasized danger of stall in traffic. Asked for update. Will see.

Would need to verify with others stall occurs after bike warmed up. Don't think mine stalled cold.
I Sent an email to Triumph Corporation advising of the problem. Emphasized danger of stall in traffic. Asked for update. Will see.
Perfect, same here only happens when at running temperature...

One would think or hope that Triumph is aware of the dangers of stalling in traffic. Maybe this will prompt them to look into it at the mothership.

love the stuff about friction modifiers used it on a thread about a clutch bark when u let the clutch out on take off.
however the clutch is not dragging down the motor or it would be more violent like not engaging clutch when stopping.

Goot point Turbo, I can see how that would cause an abrubt driveline shock.... To test a theory about stalling on takeoff, instead of using the same oil that Triumph delear uses, maybe I should supply the delear with a different oil that meets / exceeds their recommendation... Wonder if that would make any diffence...

Back