I just spent some time properly setting static sag in the rear, and I was very surprised at what I found. I’ll start by saying that I’m between 175-180 lbs fully suited up to ride (depending how hot or cold it is), and I’m about 6’2” tall.

First, the math. Full travel on the rear suspension is 107mm according to what I could find on the web. I set my sag at 30%, which equates to about 32mm in this case. This is a fairly normal setting for street riding.

Now, the part that surprised me... To get that proper setting I was only 4 clicks out from max preload. To be clear, I mean that I cranked the preload all the way up, and then came out 4 clicks. If I remember correctly, there are 20 clicks of adjustment, which makes my setting 16 clicks in from minimum, for those who have been counting in that direction instead.

I think it’s possible that the suggestions floating around here (hovering around 9-10 in from min) might actually be far less than they probably should be! I’m on the slimmer side compared with many bikers I know, so you bigger guys should likely be near max on the preload.

OK, caveat here, I haven’t ridden it yet to see how things feel. There will still be salt and snow on the ground for another 6 weeks. But, proper sag setting is pretty foolproof. In March, I’ll let you guys know what happens on the road.

I just spent some time properly setting static sag in the rear, and I was very surprised at what I found. I’ll start by saying that I’m between 175-180 lbs fully suited up to ride (depending how hot or cold it is), and I’m about 6’2” tall.

First, the math. Full travel on the rear suspension is 107mm according to what I could find on the web. I set my sag at 30%, which equates to about 32mm in this case. This is a fairly normal setting for street riding.

Now, the part that surprised me... To get that proper setting I was only 4 clicks out from max preload. To be clear, I mean that I cranked the preload all the way up, and then came out 4 clicks. If I remember correctly, there are 20 clicks of adjustment, which makes my setting 16 clicks in from minimum, for those who have been counting in that direction instead.

I think it’s possible that the suggestions floating around here (hovering around 9-10 in from min) might actually be far less than they probably should be! I’m on the slimmer side compared with many bikers I know, so you bigger guys should likely be near max on the preload.

OK, caveat here, I haven’t ridden it yet to see how things feel. There will still be salt and snow on the ground for another 6 weeks. But, proper sag setting is pretty foolproof. In March, I’ll let you guys know what happens on the road.
you been 80 odd kg i would have thought you would need to wind out 11 or so clicks , just have to suck and see - that snow stuff must give you blokes the ****s new bike can't ride

Since you are lighter as you say than most bikers, why would setting close(4 clicks out) to max preload make sense? Just trying to get the reasoning. May be perfect.

E

Exactly. Four clicks from the max preload is way too stiff of a ride of me and I'm 185 lbs and close to 195 with my gear. I don't get it. I guess you just can't compare with others close to your weight and need to find the settings that are right for you. Maybe the height makes the difference (6'2" compared to my chiseled 5'9") meaning a possible lean angle or weight distribution while riding. F***, I don't know.
if you set it up as per the video you it might be a little hard due to your weight if that's the case wind down one more click ie 11 down . did you check your cable tie at the front ? remember the front can effect the back
How many K's has the bike done ?
Don't think your height would make much difference
Don't give up I've done 1000 k's and the suspension is smooth as you would want a bike like the rocket to be
When the wife's on the back i set 5 clicks down which works well
Best of luck

If the new R3R has an Archilles heel, IMO, it is the rear suspension.
If find that unless the road surface is smooth it is hard, even life threatening to unleash its full power in the lower gears! Furthermore the harshness of the rear end is always the limiting factor in trying to maintain a good pace on a bumpy but flowing back road and I struggle to maintain pace with other well ridden dual sport type bikes.
I fully understand the difference between the rear suspension on a dual sport v a “cruiser” however despite playing around with the rear suspension adjustments, I cannot get any sort of suspension compliance that is even half acceptable.
I would love to know if there are any alternative rear suspension alternatives on the market yet or if anybody has a secret formula of adjustment that they would be willing to share.

Just to make it clear, there is no problem if the roads you ride are smooth and your ride pace is gentle to even brisk. But if you are charging around bumpy back roads at speed, the limitations become painfully obvious!
I had the same issue with my '14 Roadster. I replaced the stock shocks with Progressive 444's - the difference is night & day. The front is also very mushy, I have new Progressive springs but have not installed them yet. I'm sure they will be an improvement.

For dynamic riding but not too hard (and +/- rider weight as per the video), anyone recommending their set-up ? (I find a little hard the rear suspension on my R; both front and rear are stock set-up).

For dynamic riding but not too hard (and +/- rider weight as per the video), anyone recommending their set-up ? (I find a little hard the rear suspension on my R; both front and rear are stock set-up).

someone put the # of clicks ( think it was 10 counterclockwise from total clockwise position) on the forum that worked best. also other adustments. think it was an English chap. other suggestions from other posts did not work for me .

Last edited:
I was getting bounced off the seat. Set compression and rebound out one turn from closed and set the preload out 20 clicks. Much better ride now. I weigh 175lbs.
I fully agree, I hard time with my R3GT and I did exactly as you said and took out for a 3K miles ride and MUCH MUCH better.
Also the suggested 41PSI is an overkill, I lowered to 37(cold) and it also made a difference, note, 37PSI at 60 degree weather will go up to about 45 when tire warms.
Ride safe,
LCL

Back