Rear Light bulb question

Also, had the same issue as you, it was an f’d contact with lose wires. Wiggling it worked till it broke totally. Got stopped by cops flt having it out at night (and speeding).

Ordered a new rear light harness from bike bandit. The wires just run up under the rear wheel cover and plug in by the battery, under the right hand pop-off side cover.

R3 direction indicators do that, only that and nothing more than that. If you wire them to ALWAYS on - you will not have direction indicators and the Plastic housings will melt.

The wedge bulb is to light the numberplate - The Tail/brake light is indeed a BA15D/1157 - If the bulb is new and one filament does not work and the other does - you have a severed wire or F*CKED contact. Look under the mudguard - anything look dodgy?

Change the wedge too - does that work? - If not it helps locate the fault.
Hey Barbagris,
Thank you for the insight, I should have checked the bulb first... duh! It was the culprit. You get a "10" rating my friend, thank you! ten_out_of_ten_emoticon.gif

.... I have no lights illuminated in the rear of the Rocket, ..
So my questions are:

1) The 1157 is a dual element bulb, which I thought was for a constant running light and a brake light. Is this true?

2) What is the wedge bulb for, and why do you think it’s not working?

3) I never noticed before, but do the turn signal lights stay on all the time as marker lights, or do they just come on as turn signals? (They both work as turn signals)

1. Correct - but although a common lamp, they are completely separate fused lamps circuits supplying each filament.
2. License Plate Illumination (off same circuit as the Tail Running Lamp)
3. Just signals NOT dual purpose Signal/Running

Some fundamental questions:
a) Are the front park lights on? (Pull Fuse #9 so that the headlight Main Lamps are not lit so you can tell if those park lights are on)*
b) Are the Instrument BackLight Illuminations on?
c) If you turn key all way counter-clockwise past the lock position, do the park lights (incl rear) come on?

*This one is especially important to determine if an overall running light circuit problem or simply a rear tail light module problem

^This information will greatly help to pinpoint the source of the problem

The fact that the brake lamp works rules out a ground circuit issue as that is common to both functions.
So it has to be in the positive supply to the park/running lamp.

Have you checked Fuses # 8 & 10?
(8 if neither the instrument lights and none of the front and rear park/running lights are on; 10 if neither of th park/running lights is on but the instrument lights ARE on)

One common failure is the harness from the light inside the fender becomes worn through from abrading on the tire - so be sure to have a good look at that
Also check the connector plug from the tail light where it plugs into the main harness - check for any corrosion at that connector, or even broken wire.

Last edited:
Back