HarleyToo

.060 Over
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
So this may be the wrong place to post this, so mods, please move as needed.

RAA's are nice and all, but why is RAT so absent in the US? I spent some time today searching forums and the interwebs for RAT info but it is pretty sketcy and much of the threads I found are years old.

Owning the Harley, an R3R and a BMW, community (aside from forum community) is where the other two seem to have us beat hands down.

The HOG experience, being what it is (and you can bla, bla all you want about posers) but it is strong, well funded and represented by just about every Harley dealer in the country. I have been a very active part of one of the local HOG groups and can say that they spend plenty of time on their bikes. Some of these guys are putting in more miles than just about any other members group on the planet.

BMW's not nearly as strong, but their MOA support and events are. Their monthly magazine is second to none and one of my favorite motorcycling publications regardless of brand. They cover a lot of very valuable BMW and non-BMW information.

So why is RAT and Triumph in general so lacking? The publication (when I get it) is weak, there is no real owners ogranization aside from RAT which seems non-existant in the US (maybe it is strong in some regions, but the Dallas area aint one of them).

Of course, it is probably becasue I see so few other Trumps on the road. The fact that the most telling comment I hear about my bike is "Oh, Triumph still makes bikes!?" could be part of it too.

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Maybe there are enough of us to get some ground swell going and make RAT better in the US, but I know how hard that is.

Thoughts?

we crashed the ozark rats (or something like that) on the last raa... you hit it with we (especially r3's) are a pretty small community... me personally, i am a small crowd kind of guy so it suits me just fine...

IDK, our local one died out, my dealer is willing to support it, but the guy running it (well) for a couple years retired from it, and the next guy didn't do much. I'm thinking of volunteering to try to resurrect it.

Up here in canada there is even less community organizations than you described. Even Harley groups are very slim. There are a number of non-manufacturer specific groups but not as strong.

I for one would love to attend more events and groups especially those Triumph focused.

I am going to check with the two local dealers. See if anyone is willing to sponsor a local RAT.

Personally I prefer to ride with a few old mates rather than brand specific groups ,it would be nice to have a triumph R3 group locally but they could hold their meetings in a telephone booth(if you could find one now) as Triumphs are thin on the ground and R3s even more scarce, our riding group are a mixed bunch all long term riders of "mature" age with a variety of bikes from Harleys,Boulevards,Honda's and a Duke and one Rapid Roy on his warmed up Busa, that cleans every ones dials.

So this may be the wrong place to post this, so mods, please move as needed.

RAA's are nice and all, but why is RAT so absent in the US? I spent some time today searching forums and the interwebs for RAT info but it is pretty sketcy and much of the threads I found are years old.

Owning the Harley, an R3R and a BMW, community (aside from forum community) is where the other two seem to have us beat hands down.

The HOG experience, being what it is (and you can bla, bla all you want about posers) but it is strong, well funded and represented by just about every Harley dealer in the country. I have been a very active part of one of the local HOG groups and can say that they spend plenty of time on their bikes. Some of these guys are putting in more miles than just about any other members group on the planet.

BMW's not nearly as strong, but their MOA support and events are. Their monthly magazine is second to none and one of my favorite motorcycling publications regardless of brand. They cover a lot of very valuable BMW and non-BMW information.

So why is RAT and Triumph in general so lacking? The publication (when I get it) is weak, there is no real owners ogranization aside from RAT which seems non-existant in the US (maybe it is strong in some regions, but the Dallas area aint one of them).

Of course, it is probably becasue I see so few other Trumps on the road. The fact that the most telling comment I hear about my bike is "Oh, Triumph still makes bikes!?" could be part of it too.

I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences. Maybe there are enough of us to get some ground swell going and make RAT better in the US, but I know how hard that is.

Thoughts?

Yes RAT raids put on by corporate Triumph died around 08 or so I think Except for local RAT packs Far and few between. The RAT event in the Ozarks is there every year as well as the fall Dragon tail RAT raid that just happened last weekend I believe. If not it is happening right now.

It sis to bad as I really enjoyed the corporate RAT raids. That being said at least the RAA events turn out to be a great get together every year. And sometimes twice a year. They are always better when you get Lupe to have his sister cook Menudo soup but then I am prejudice. Now that being said I also believe in a good dose of cholesterol and can not wait for Josey's Vittles.

Cannot wait we are about a month away from the Smoky's and you should consider coming and meeting some mighty fine people.

Back