One of those WTF moments....

I would guess that the clutch switch is somehow furnishing the ground to the horn .
Does the horn button work?
Indeed, my friend, somehow the water is allowing the connection to be made. As long as it remains dry there is no problem, everything works well. No biggie anymore since that bike has been reduced to second place.
YurMama is now the primary motor and it's OEM horn has been eliminated in favor of a running light.

ive just been out to the bike after posting my 'WTF' and was thinking along the clutch switch and had a look under there and the switch is hanging there by the wires...if i open the contact with my finger i can then start the bike. Just got to figure what if anything is missing under there...cant see anything on the ground?..i'll persevere...something will stand out im sure...
That happened to me in the first few hundred miles. One of the screws was missing. That's the most flimsy POS little switch someone could have possibly invented. I knew mine was malfunctioning when my gas gauge quit working and it would start without pulling in the clutch- just like with the 2.3s

That flimsy POS switch is always a little loose on mine. It won't tighten down completely and remains a little loose. It's so fragile I won't screw with it. That friggin 10 cent piece can screw up your day. $24K bike that can be held hostage by a 10 cent piece of metal. Of course Triumph will only charge you $100.00 for the replacement and $150.00 dollars for the mechanics time. So generous.

That flimsy POS switch is always a little loose on mine. It won't tighten down completely and remains a little loose. It's so fragile I won't screw with it. That friggin 10 cent piece can screw up your day. $24K bike that can be held hostage by a 10 cent piece of metal. Of course Triumph will only charge you $100.00 for the replacement and $150.00 dollars for the mechanics time. So generous.
....Araldite...hmmm

That happened to me in the first few hundred miles. One of the screws was missing. That's the most flimsy POS little switch someone could have possibly invented. I knew mine was malfunctioning when my gas gauge quit working and it would start without pulling in the clutch- just like with the 2.3s
lets find a good quality replacement clutch switch :)

I've owned 3 Triumphs, they always seemed to be built to a price more than Japanese, other European or American bikes, just my impression.

I havnt pulled one of these apart...not yet anyway!....but the mechanism that makes it work is just like a set of points by the looks so keeping the points clean with contact cleaner should help there. I have put a dab of araldite between the switch and the mounting bracket just so as to hold it firm...that'll hold the b*****d.!

Back